Under the direction of the Program Director, the Senior Immigration Staff Attorney is responsible for performing client counseling and representation duties. The Senior Staff Attorney meets with and advises clients of immigration legal rights and issues, conducts legal research and writing, prepares court forms, prepares immigration applications, and performs other legal duties. In addition, the Senior Staff Attorney conducts Community Outreach and Education work, such as working with clients and their communities to organize meetings, workshops, and rallies. The Senior Staff Attorney also provides mentorship and lends substantive expertise to positions including but not limited to Staff Attorneys I and II. The Senior Staff Attorney works directly on complex immigration cases, with a current emphasis on immigration cases dealing with victims of crimes, family immigration, DACA and removal defense cases, provides technical support and capacity building to other nonprofit organizations on immigration, and staffs evening and weekend workshops.
This position is covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Duties and Responsibilities
40% Client Counseling and Representation
- Counsel and advise clients of legal rights
- Conduct legal research and writing in response to client needs
- Prepare court forms and other documents on behalf of clients
- Represent clients in immigration proceedings
- Coordinate client services with other attorneys
- Provide direct application assistance and legal representation in complex immigration cases
10% Community Outreach and Education
- Work with clients and their communities organizing meetings, clinics and workshops
- Collaborate with community partner organizations
15% Produce periodic reports to meet funding and reporting requirements
30% Provide mentorship and substantive supervision to Staff Attorneys I and II, lending substantive expertise and guidance
5% All other duties as assigned
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Occasional travel may be required, including to immigration detention facilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or listen. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds
This position does provide substantive supervision to staff attorneys.
Minimum Education and Work Experience:
- Minimum seven years of immigration experience, including immigration court experience
- J.D. and active membership in California State Bar
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work, civil rights, and community empowerment
- Demonstrable substantive expertise
- Language ability in an Asian language or Spanish preferred
- Experience or familiarity with AANHPI community
- Ability to work with diverse racial and ethnic groups
- Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Availability and willingness to regularly travel within the county and state
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Access to reliable means of transportation
- Knowledge of Law and Government such as laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Ability to engage in active listening, giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to verbally convey information to others effectively
- Ability to engage in critical thinking, using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to engage in complex problem solving, identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.