District of Columbia
Media Matters for America — a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media — seeks a Media Relations Specialist to be responsible for much of the day-to-day media and press operations of the Communications Department
The Media Relations Specialist will play an essential role in achieving our ambitious print and online content placement goals. Forming strong relationships with reporters, knowing what content is in the pipeline, and then customizing and pitching it based on their distinct interests will be central to the Media Relations Specialist’s success.
- Reports to: Communications Director.
- Positions reporting to Media Relations Specialist: Potential for shared management of Communications Interns.
Developing and maintaining reporter relationships and media contact lists:
- Identifying opportunities for media pickup -- knowing which print and online reporters are the correct ones to receive our pitches and write about our work
- Audit (with help) existing press lists to ensure that they are accurate and up to date
- Create and maintain segmented press lists
Creating, packaging, tailoring and pitching content
- Turn varied content - from dense research to short blog posts - into highly compelling, engaging press materials, including blasts, releases, and op-eds
- Push out content in real time, curating to reporter interests, using segmented lists, making calls, and using other channels
- Secure and schedule print and online media interviews; prep spokespeople with talking points and other materials as needed
- Field reporter requests promptly
- Keep tight tabs on impact of media outreach, knowing which reporters are picking up which content and which pitches are performing best and why, seeking to test alternatives and achieve maximum pickup
- 2-4 years of experience in media relations, including pitching material directly to reporters; strategic communications experience a plus
- Proven track record of pitching to media outlets, including ability to identify elements with viral potential
- Exceptional communications skills, particularly written (to create and tailor material for the press) and ability to hook reporters’ interest in writing about our content and research.
- Demonstrated savvy with online communications products, including tracking product performance and then improving it based on testing and data
- Interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on the public debate, plus understanding of the 24-hour news cycle
- Demonstrated ability to create and audit press distribution lists
- Experience using Meltwater, Salesforce, and Vocus a plus
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently from day to day
- Can plan and manage under a tight deadline
- Ability to multitask and adjust in fast-paced and high-pressure situations
- Bachelor's degree in communications or relevant experience
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.