Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, thousands of children enjoy outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund’s five overnight camps in Fishkill, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational enrichment programs.
The Fresh Air Fund is recruiting a Camp Director for Camp Tommy, our sleepaway camp for boys, ages 12 - 15, serving a total of 500 campers over four sessions.
This position is part-time during the year (in/around NYC) and full-time from mid-June through mid-August (in Fishkill, NY). Room and board is provided during the summer.
During the off-season, the director will be responsible for:
- Staff interviewing and hiring 65 camp staff
- Creating and planning staff orientation
- Attending Director Meetings once a month as well as periodic professional development/training opportunities, recruitment events and call-in supervisory meetings
- Attending and managing 2-3 off-season weekends at camp
- Collaborating with Fresh Air Fund staff to ensure all programs align with and support the Fund’s mission
During the summer, the director is responsible for:
- Developing and providing a safe, caring and enriching camp program that encourages campers to return in the future
- Providing ongoing training, supervision, support and development of staff
- Overall supervision of any and all camp related issues including staff and camper disciplinary matters and communication with parents/guardians
- Understanding and ensuring compliance with the Department of Health, American Camp Association and Fresh Air Fund policies and procedures
- Acting as a positive role model and promoting high morale in campers and staff
- Developing, creating and implementing staff orientation and in-service trainings
- Cooperating with Fresh Air Fund administrators and office personnel
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience in a camp or residential setting
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work or a related field (Master’s preferred)
- Experience with urban youth and teens a must
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize deadlines, work independently, take initiative and maintain
- confidentiality in a fast paced and challenging work environment
- Possess effective management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the capacity to collaborate with others and be a team player
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
The Fresh Air Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. In the summer, room and board is included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.