At Esalen, we care about being present. We bring that to everything we do. We don’t just build a table, we build a work of art that’s also a table. We don’t just say hello, we make eye contact and listen with intention. We feel the same way about our team members - showing up in support of their full being. We offer great health care, access to workshops, and the space to further our mission by contributing to your own human potential.
- Esalen seeks an experienced senior marketing, communications and product executive who wants to drive strategic vision and transform the marketing, product and communications function at a complex and mission-driven non-profit organization. We seek a professional who is passionate about the deep integration of marketing and product in B2P and B2B partnerships, who sees the power and potential of cutting-edge strategies in digital media, and has a proven track record of innovative product creation and strategic partner alliances.
- Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) will lead Esalen in increasing and strengthening the Institute’s reach with a compelling and coherent brand strategy; maximizing the collective power and synergy of aligned internal and external marketing and communication opportunities; and leveraging innovative approaches to draw people (e.g., prospective students, alumni, donors, learning partners, employees, faculty, etc.) to be part of the success and impact of Esalen. Esalen will be appreciated, sought out, and supported as a purposeful place to explore human potential, attracting diverse individuals of promise, educating them holistically in a world-affirming and strengthening way.
- This executive position will serve to demonstrate the importance and distinct opportunity of telling Esalen’s story in compelling and strategic ways to engage diverse constituents, delivering high value products, and is critical to increasing our visibility and ability to capitalize on the dynamic potential and growth outlined in the strategic framework.
- The CMO will be a part of the senior leadership team. We are building a strong and diverse team that is dynamic, passionate, professional, forward-thinking, innovative, and strategic oriented around a growth mindset. With a collective vision and expectation of collaboration, as well as high expectations for and support of each member’s individual professionalism, excellence, and growth the team’s unified focus is on elevating Esalen so that its strength and impact are sustainable well into our future.
- The CMO will lead the integration of marketing, product design, and communication organization-wide, and will take Esalen public relations, marketing and product to new heights. The new CMO will have strong strategic vision as well as operational experience in developing and advancing an integrated marketing, product focused and communications organization. The CMO will directly supervise a team of marketing, product, and communications professionals, and co-supervise distributed marketing and communications professionals in various areas of the Institute. There is a significant opportunity to structure and develop the marketing and communications function at Esalen, including evolving and developing team resources and agency relationships. The CMO will be responsible for product development and product market fit as well as having shared responsibility for revenue goals.
What will this role do?
- Define and facilitate the implementation of a strategic integrated marketing plan in collaboration with the senior leadership team;
- Lead brand and messaging clarity, coherence, vibrancy and strength
- Lead Market research and audience segmentation and analytics
- Develop and drive new products to market
- Deliver national and international advertising
- Create strategies to gain and sustain advantage in our markets
- Design cross-organization and internal-external communications and marketing synergies that amplify our visibility and impact
- Bring “outside-in” best practices and innovations from all industries and orchestrate Esalen’s storytelling (internally and externally) in ways that surprise and delight and increase awareness and devotion of multiple constituent groups
- Leverage contemporary, dynamic, and diverse communication tools and methods (including a robust digital strategy) that deepen Esalen’s engagement with priority audiences and drive desired outcomes, particularly in workshop registration, and fundraising
- Analyze and interpret information, conditions, stakeholder awareness and perceptions, competitor positions and other data in developing and adapting the marketing and communications plan and strategies
- Inspire creative thinking and foster proactive problem solving
- Oversee and provide direction for external partners engaged in helping advance marketing and communications goals on behalf of Esalen
- Serve as a lead ambassador for Esalen, developing relationships with the media and key influencers and partners, and facilitating the CEO’s advancing networking
- Cultivate strategies and opportunities for Esalen to contribute to the national discourse on Human potential, transformation and social impact and its impact on society
- Advise senior leadership team on media perceptions and public relations issues for reputation enhancement and risk minimization and mitigation
- Lead crisis communications
- Contribute to the development of a collaborative and engaged culture with internal constituents to advance Esalen’s goals
- Create an agile organization that ensures effective prioritization, quality, timely accomplishment, and continuous improvement
- Define metrics to measure success and impact of marketing communications strategies
- Proactively understand Esalens mission, vision, goals, activities, and achievements as well as pertinent Holistic Center issues
- Develop and ensure budgets and timelines are met and exercise fiscal responsibility in defining and prioritizing the most efficient and effective marketing and communications strategies
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills + Desired Characteristics
- Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education and 5-10 years of industry experience
- A significant track record of senior executive marketing and communications experience developing and executing ambitious and innovative integrated plans and programs in complex organizations and providing thought leadership in product innovation and design
- Five to ten years experience in Business to Public and Business to Business marketing in Hospitality, Publishing, Education and or Wellness industry preferred
- Passion for Esalen’s mission and the vital importance of transformational experiences in today’s and tomorrow’s society
- A commitment to the value of diversity and the practice of inclusion
- Strong executive presence and ability to represent the CEO with stakeholders as necessary
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated acquisition and constituent engagement experience with an excellent understanding of how to build relationships between an organization and targeted constituents
- Successful track record of leading a collaborative process to develop a strategic brand platform
- A strong background utilizing market analysis, including quantitative and qualitative research, to inform the development of successful integrated marketing strategies
- Knowledge of trends and best practices in marketing and public relations as well as communications technology; successful experience with new digital media as communications and marketing tools and an understanding of their role in reaching objectives
- Proven experience and skill in hiring, developing, managing, and supporting a team of dedicated professionals and vendors. A results-oriented team player with the presence to inspire and the ability to develop a collaborative culture
- Demonstrated managerial talent and ability to allocate resources efficiently
- Energetic, creative, collaborative, positive, and proactive
- A team leader who can positively and productively impact strategic and tactical initiatives
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Perceptiveness and sound judgment in balancing transparency and careful deliberation in communications, and ensuring timeliness of critical communications
- Self-reliant and results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Skilled at balancing short-term objectives and long-term vision
- The ability to provide an external perspective to the Institute, including innovative ideas for partnership and positioning, and understanding of marketplace demands
- Strong character, ethics and integrity
- Be willing to spend 50% of their time at Esalen and our Carmel Office working with, and alongside staff, students, faculty, and guests
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; maneuver on uneven ground, stand for long periods of time; sitting at a desk and working on computers and answering phones.
- The pay for this exempt position is commensurate with experience. This role includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen gives teammates access to an extensive range of daily experiential classes (yoga, dance, tai chi, and meditation), ongoing in-house education and training programs, and one of Esalen’s Benefit Allowances.
Esalen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.