767 Hicks Street
For 16 years, Red Hook Initiative (RHI) has nurtured young people in Red Hook, Brooklyn, to be inspired, resilient and healthy, and to envision themselves as co-creators of their lives, community and society. Dozens of participants in RHI programs have returned to RHI as staff, and have jump-started careers in youth development from there. RHI’s Young Adult Program provides comprehensive, personalized supports for young adults from a strengths-based, trauma focused approach while intentionally addressing systemic injustice through education, advocacy and opportunities for young adult participation.
The Young Adult (YA) Program Manager guides the young adult team to support young adults (18 to 24-year-olds) to create conditions for healthy development into adulthood while pursuing education and employment goals in achieving education and employment goals. The Program Manager will maintain a bird’s eye view of the program’s overall performance and will troubleshoot barriers for the young adult team in achieving program outcomes. In the coming year, a key focus will be to formally integrate the Digital Steward training program into Young Adult employment initiatives.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Young Adult Program Manager include but are not limited to:
Program Development and Implementation
- Co-design program initiatives with Young Adult Team and Chief Program Officer in support of meeting program goals and contractual obligations.
- Supervise Young Adult Team and manage the team’s work plan toward annual goals.
- Oversee curriculum development and program planning for comprehensive programs based in youth development best practice principles.
- Oversee the planning and execution of social events and special activities for the YA program.
- Connect with outside organizations to integrate programs and opportunities around education, employment, and enrichment to the YA program.
- Assess overall program attendance and participation; oversee outreach/recruitment efforts to increase young adult engagement.
- Connect with outside organizations to develop and maintain a youth recruitment pipeline and deliver comprehensive services.
- Stay informed of individual participant progress and troubleshoot barriers to completion of goals.
- Facilitate workshops and trainings as needed
Staff Supervision and Administration
- Provide individual, weekly supervision to direct reports.
- Plan for and facilitate weekly young adult staff team meetings.
- Create supportive team environment.
- Assist Director of Professional Development to identify staff training needs.
- Recruit, hire and onboard new staff members (as needed) in keeping with the RHI model.
- Provide leadership in therapeutic crisis intervention, conflict resolution and crisis management.
- Utilize Salesforce to collect data and compile reports that effectively measure the impact of the YA program.
- Ensure payroll entries are accurate and approve biweekly payroll.
- Manage program budget decisions and approve program expenditures to ensure the YA team’s fiscal responsibility.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to provide supportive supervision to staff.
- Demonstrated emotional maturity and ability to uphold standards of confidentiality and privacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trauma focused youth development theories and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local and citywide resources for social services; proven ability to mobilize/activate such resources.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail-orientation, including proven ability to keep accurate records.
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to collaborate on projects and work with a team.
- Ability to work independently.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of direct youth work or social service experience.
- At least 3 years working with disconnected young adults.
- 2-3 years staff supervision experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s in related field preferred.
- Knowledge of Red Hook community and RHI mission and vision (preference will be given to Red Hook residents).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Health insurance, FSA, retirement account, generous PTO and exceptional professional development opportunities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter - including salary requirements - to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Young Adult Program Manager" in the subject line.