Full Time Temporary
2401 Liberty Heights Avenue
What’s the role?
Thread's AmeriCorps members will complete a year of service doing impactful work while gaining invaluable experience with a local, growing Baltimore community. Thread plans to host 14 AmeriCorps members during the 2018-2019 academic year to facilitate and expand our after-school threadHOURS programming where our students and volunteers come together to work on academic assignments, build relationships, and have experiences that promote students’ growth. Our AmeriCorps members will also support our growing high school student enrollment by developing relationships with teachers to regularly gather academic data about students’ progress.
Our AmeriCorps members will serve in a full-time capacity side-by-side with the Thread Community of students, staff, teachers, volunteers, and collaborators to support our youth in successfully graduating from high school, engaging in internships and employment, accessing individualized support services in the community, and beyond.
More information about AmeriCorps can be found here.
More information about AmeriCorps in Maryland can be found here.
AmeriCorps members can also expect to take the lead on various projects, based on their interests: community service lead, attendance lead, data lead, and logistics leads to further support threadHOURS. AmeriCorps members will also work on independent projects based on their own professional goals.
AmeriCorps members will regularly meet as a cohort, participate in ongoing professional development and training opportunities, receive bi-weekly coaching sessions from a Program Manager, and more!
Who should apply?
- Demonstrated ability to:
- work with adolescents
- work with diverse peers in a team
- communicate professionally with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated skills to:
- adapt in both work style and work environment
- take initiative in meeting goals and seek professional growth
- problem-solve through challenges and failures
- use Google suite (email, calendar, docs)
- Available to work full time hours, 9-6, Monday through Friday
- High school or GED degree
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
A candidate should also be able to describe their...
- Dedication to national and community service
- Deep belief in and passion to promote our mission
- Plan to root their work in our core values
- Love for relationship-building and public speaking
- Strong attention to detail and effective management of competing priorities
Priority given to candidates who...
- Are alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service
- Have experience volunteering with community-based or education programs
A cover letter that addresses the above qualifications is required to be considered for the position.
What are the specifics?
General Job Duties
- Facilitate threadHOURS programming, enforcing policies and ensuring that students are active participants
- Attend trainings and programming meetings to prepare for implementing threadHOURS activities
- Act as a professional adult during threadHOURS, ensuring that students’ behavior is in line with school expectations and that students are accounted for
- Lead team-building, professional development, and academic programming during threadHOURS
- Build relationships with high school teachers to facilitate gathering information about Thread students’ academic progress
- Share behavior, attendance, and academic info about Thread students by entering student data in the tracker
- Obtain review materials for midterm and final exams, make-up packets, upcoming test dates, and other relevant course-wide updates
- Obtain coach class days, times, and preferences for use of this time, and communicate this with students during threadHOURS
- Act as first point of contact for teachers (they will have your contact info)
- Review and synthesize data to highlight patterns in data reports
- Self-monitor and complete individual professional development and projects, ensuring completion by deadline
- Support programs (including but not limited to threadHOURS) by managing logistics, tracking attendance, tracking community service hours completion, and assisting in event planning and implementation
- Consistently use Google suite to answer emails in a timely fashion, update your Google calendar, and store and organize important documents
- Maintain a positive relationship with Thread staff and AmeriCorps peers
What we offer
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual stipend of $17,430, along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members.
- Child care assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term.
- We offer a dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
- Monthly BaltimoreLink Passes (Thread-specific benefit)
The other things you need to know
Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time from August 2018 through July 2019, and must commit to a service term of 1,700 hours over an 11-month period.
Travel: AmeriCorps members regularly travel to school sites throughout the week, and need access to reliable transportation on a daily basis. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to partner program offices and service day events.
Thread AmeriCorps Orientation: At the start of each program year, Thread holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with staff, and learn the skills necessary to execute the AmeriCorps role.
What are the next steps?
- As a first step, interested applicants should complete an online application here!
- We anticipate that additional screenings and interviews for selected applicants will take place March - May 2018.
- Candidates who move forward in the process will be asked to complete an online application with AmeriCorps directly.
- Our AmeriCorps year of service will run from August 2018 - July 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested in joining Thread for an AmeriCorps Year of Service? Please click here to apply!
Minimum Education Required