Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
About Jericho Project
Jericho Project is a nationally-acclaimed nonprofit ending homelessness at its roots by enabling homeless individuals and families to attain quality housing, employment and mental and physical health services. The 34-year-old nonprofit serves over 2,500 individuals, including 700 veterans, annually. Jericho has been a key partner in New York City’s initiative to end veterans’ homelessness, and is leading bold, innovative strategies to do the same for families and young adults.
Our programs touch four cornerstones of a person’s life: housing, employment, wellness and family stability. We create a culture of “moving on” through a foundation of housing and supportive services provided by expert program specialists and case managers.
We have over 400 units of supportive housing including 8 residences in the Bronx and Harlem, as well as scatter-site apartments throughout NYC.
About the Position
Jericho Project is seeking a driven and creative individual to join the Rapid Re-Housing (RRH) and the On With Life (OWL) programs as the Housing Specialist. The individual in this position will be responsible for assisting very low-income veterans, young adults and single adults living at Jericho with identifying and obtaining safe and affordable housing opportunities.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing and cultivating housing leads and resources through community agencies, landlords and real estate brokers willing to accept program participants with little or no income. The Housing Specialist will also work with immediate veteran family members, the VA, OHS, NYCHA, HPD AND DTR (Section 8) and other community partners to ensure housing is secured and maintained in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct housing intakes and assessments with veterans referred from the Case Manager and other staff to assess housing needs and preferences.
- Assist RRH program with meeting its goal to obtain permanent housing for 51% of program participants within 30 days of admission.
- Assist OWL program with meeting its goal to obtain permanent housing for 20% of Jericho’s PSH residents.
- Assist participants in completing landlord and property management housing applications, including helping to secure needed documentation and accompanying participants to housing briefings.
- Provide hands-on assistance to enable participants to find suitable housing, including accompanying them to apartment viewings and conducting neighborhood research throughout NYC and surrounding areas.
- Advocate on behalf of the participants with landlords and brokers to overcome any issues or challenges to securing suitable housing.
- Assist with securing resources for security deposit, broker’s fees, moving expenses, bedding, and household items.
- Writing Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) requests for RRH short-term subsidies for security deposit, broker’s fees, moving expenses, bedding, and household items and ensuring that all required supporting documentation is present in the request.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with community resources, landlords and real estate agencies.
- Collaborate as a member of the larger Jericho Project team and serve as a housing resource expert as needed.
- Serve as point-of-contact for landlords; work with case manager and client to resolve issues affecting client’s ability to maintain housing and positive landlord/tenant relationship
- Identify apartments, landlords and real estate agencies as referral resources for participants and perform housing inspections for relocations into new units throughout NYC and surrounding areas.
- Assist clients with referrals and applications for housing vouchers including SEPS, LINC, City FEPS, HPD, NYCHA and 2010e.
- Assist clients with approved 2010es access supportive housing by making housing referrals, contacting providers, and attending housing interviews.
- Help to conduct orientation sessions with new participants to explain housing rules and regulations and lease obligations, as well as housing quality standards and housing assistance policies.
- Computes housing assistance payments, tenant rental amounts, utility reimbursements, and rent increases in order to satisfy program guidelines and landlord requests using knowledge of program regulations.
- Perform re-examinations, interim interviews and verify income to determine and maintain eligibility with federal and city guidelines and regulations.
- Maintain and input case notes in AWARDS and ECM to reflect housing services provided in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update tenant information into computer database.
- Prepare monthly statistical reports and other data as mandated.
- High School diploma required; Associate or Bachelor's degree preferred but will consider extensive experience in lieu of education.
- 2-3 years relevant experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently and maximize time while conducting field work.
- Experience in social and economic problems related to housing needs for those in a lower income bracket.
- Demonstrated knowledge of challenges faced by special populations, including mental health disabilities, low income and homelessness; experience working in a multi-racial, low-income community preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal flexibility, teamwork, customer service aptitude and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of housing subsidies, rules, regulations, and affordable housing industry in NYC strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking capability, proven ability to achieve results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
Jericho Project offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and with salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
Job Code: Housing Specialist, RRH/OWL
245 W. 29th Street, Suite 902
New York, NY 10001
No Phone Calls Please.
Jericho Project is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.