121-18 Liberty Avenue
Chhaya seeks a Housing Counselor who is passionate about housing and economic justice to work on foreclosure prevention as part of its Housing Preservation team. The counselor will work with South Asian, Indo-Caribbean, and other immigrant clients and assist them with preserving their homes through counseling and education. Candidate will receive training on homeownership education as necessary, including conducting community presentations and housing counseling. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to expand a successful program with future prospect for career growth.
- Conducting one-on-one post-purchase counseling with low to moderate income homeowners, including but not limited to budget counseling, credit management, affordability analysis, energy efficiency and home repairs, loan modification, refinance, and short-sale;
- Organizing and conducting regular workshops on homeownership education and financial capability;
- Organizing homeowners to promote policy changes to make homeownership more accessible for low to moderate income families;
- Broadening and strengthening Chhaya’s outreach in the community and cultivating community partnerships including faith-based and community organizations;
- Tracking counseling and educational outreach outcomes in database and assisting with regular reporting;
- Assisting with other projects, as necessary;
- Bachelor’s degree; an Associate degree with substantial experience will be considered;
- 1-3 years of experience working in social services, housing counseling, education, or case management;
- Able to work occasionally on weekends and weeknights;
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented;
- Familiarity with South Asian and Indo-Caribbean communities in New York;
- Multilingual skills in Bengali, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi or Urdu beneficial but not necessary;
Values and Perspectives:
- Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
- Strong interest in community, economic and social justice issues;
- Respectful and supportive of multi-ethnic, multi-faith, and multilingual organization.
Reports to: Housing Preservation Manager
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including generous vacation, health & dental benefits, 403B and TransitChek.
Minimum Education Required