Details: $13.45 per hour
256 West 38th Street
Job Path supports people with developmental disabilities as they make choices about their lives and play valued roles in their communities. Job Path encourages people to explore what they want out of life and to chart their own journeys. Whether it’s finding a job, making a contribution in a volunteer role, establishing a home, or being part of the community, the goal is to assist the person to lead a full and active life.
The mission of the Community Supports program at Job Path is to ensure that people with developmental disabilities are visible in society and are recognized as equal citizens. We work one-on-one with people using a true person centered approach in order to foster relationships between people and their communities.
We are seeking energetic, mature, responsible and creative people to provide one-on-one support in various community settings in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx. Direct Support Professionals who work in the Community Supports program will work with people with a multitude of interests and with varying support needs. Some of the people we support use wheelchairs or require other physical supports. In order to ensure that all people in the Community Supports program have an equal opportunity to have a full life, applicants must be open to providing physical supports if necessary.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following tasks:
Direct Support; Challenging Individuals To Grow In An Interdependent World By:
- Provide individualized supports to connect people to their communities and help them to become contributing community members.
- Work with family and community members, develop connections to community organizations.
- Provide assistance at volunteer jobs, classes, social events and other community activities.
- Help individuals meet their personal and professional goals.
- Building self-esteem by doing things together, rather than doing for
- Providing opportunities for new experiences.
- Encouraging individuals to make choices and decisions in all areas of their lives, and providing the opportunities to learn how to make decisions
- Supporting people in social situations to learn to feel comfortable and confident with others through appropriate interactions and build positive relationships
- Putting aside personal beliefs to ensure that the person you are support has the opportunity to have the life they want for themselves
Balancing Field Work with Team Work
- Ensuring communication with supervisor is clear, concise and honest
- Offering support, respect and feedback to other team members
- Covering assigned shifts if needed, giving adequate notice and informing supervisor of schedule changes.
- Attending staff meetings and contributing professionally
- Sharing and contributing ideas, knowledge, questions
Health & Safety; Respecting Individuals Personal Health Needs By:
- Being aware of and competent in dealing with individual medical needs eg. seizures, health concerns, allergies etc.
- Attending to personal care needs, such as bathing, hygiene, grooming etc. in a dignifying and respectful matter
- Providing physical supports, such as pushing a wheelchair or helping a person to eat
Documentation/Communication; Ensuring Information Is Shared By:
- Completing case notes and written monthly summary notes by assigned deadline
- Completing time sheets on a biweekly basis
- Following up with required documentation as detailed by your supervisor
- Meeting with team leader periodically for open communication
In order to succeed in this position, applicants must be dynamic and flexible in order to go with the flow of people's ever changing lives.
Work/Life Assistance Program (EAP), ability to contribute to pre-tax commuter and medical FSA plans, 403b pension with employer match after two years of employment.
Health, dental, and enhanced short term disability insurance available to employees who average 28 hours of work per week after a six month measurement period.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Job Path seriously reviews all application materials with an emphasis on the content of the cover letter. Please detail your hobbies and interests in the cover letter, as it will assist in the matching process.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and dates of availability via our jobs board:
Or, send via fax to 212-921-5342 or mail to:
Job Path Attn: Kristen Mattei 256 West 38th Street 2nd Floor New York, NY 10018
*Please note: Only applicants we feel meet requirements of the position will be contacted for an interview. No calls please. Please choose one method of submission.
Job Path is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on races, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, employment, or citizenship status.