About ASPIRA of NY, Inc.
ASPIRA of New York is a progressive, non-profit organization founded in 1961 to foster the social advancement of Puerto Rican, Latino and other diverse communities by supporting its youth to achieve educational excellence through leadership development activities and programs emphasizing community commitment and pride in cultural roots. Although ASPIRA is recognized as a Latino agency with roots in Puerto Rican culture, our doors are open to all students and does not exclude anyone based on their economic background, race, nationality, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. ASPIRA is dedicated to serving New York City youth, providing opportunities that would otherwise not be available to them, and serving as an effective advocate, fighting to improve education. ASPIRA of New York has served thousands of New York City children, youth, parents, schools, and other community-based agencies, establishing a record of providing high quality, comprehensive programs and services.
ASPIRA currently administers more than 20 programs in NYC public schools, serving nearly 6000 students, the majority of which come from low-to-moderate income households. Group Leaders provide academic support and facilitate enrichment activities to develop or enhance skills that will help students in and out of school. Group Leaders assist in developing and implementing program activities such as homework assistance, recreational activities, and cultural exploration. This role may include any or all of the following and/or similar responsibilities described below, as well as other tasks deemed necessary by the Program Director.
- Lead homework help time and provide homework assistance to students as well as help prepare students for academic exams; provide extra academic guidance as needed.
- Lead clubs, recreational and enrichment group activities; provide engaging opportunities for students to explore new interests and ideas.
- Record and maintain student attendance, performance and activity records; positively communicate student progress to students, parents and the Program Director.
- Encourage a positive environment that fosters mutual support and the desire to learn, grow and develop; serve as a positive role model for students by demonstrating professional language and behavior.
- Supervise transition times to maintain order and safety; assist program staff in maintaining cleanliness and quality of program materials and worksite environment.
- Maintain program rules and regulations as well as adhere to schoolwide procedures while always keeping the student’s need as the highest priority.
- Communicate day-to-day programmatic difficulties, problems and/or concerns in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Attend all staff meetings and professional development training sessions; participate in bi-weekly staff development meetings.
- Perform other duties and tasks as deemed necessary by the Program Director.
- Some college and/or 1-2yrs experience in a youth development role required; Associate’s Degree or higher preferred.
- Must have previous experience working with elementary or middle school students, in an academic or recreation setting.
- 2-3yrs experience working in a youth development program such as tutoring, afterschool program, summer camp, mentoring, etc. highly desired.
- Must be able to work 15 to 20hrs/wk, Mon. thru Fri. during afterschool hours and occasional Saturdays.
- Dedicated to ASPIRA of NY’s programs educational and youth development goals.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills; possess strong classroom and behavior management skills, and demonstrate effective problem-solving techniques.
- Possess the ability to work amongst a multi-level program staff and in a team environment; ability to work cohesively, collaboratively and take direction.
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Exhibits creativity and resourcefulness, enthusiasm and passion, and commitment and patience in working with youth.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com “Group Leader” in the subject line. In your cover please highlight your skills and experience, and tell us why you would be an ideal match for this position.