The Invest in Our New York campaign launched in January of 2021 as New York State reeled from the impact of COVID-19 on top of decades of austerity budgeting and community divestment. Founded by key New York State community organizations, issue coalitions and economic experts, our goal remains: to transform New York’s regressive tax system into a progressive model that truly funds the needs of our communities and to transform New York’s economy so that it works for the many, not the few wealthy and well connected. IONY has 100s of organizations and coalitions representing diverse issues, geographies and constituencies at the table, making coordination and communication critical.
Our 2021 campaign was a critical first step, resulting in historic firsts such as the Excluded Workers Fund and the largest tax increases on New York’s wealthy in decades. But now, as New Yorkers head into a defining election year across gubernatorial and other races, we have a chance to shape even further the next decade of tax, investment and economic policies while we build the power of the people statewide.
The coalition coordinator works with organizational partners to develop and execute coalition strategy and facilitates each coalition partner’s participation in coalition work, and is hosted by Citizen Action of New York and the Public Policy and Education Fund. This is a full-time position starting immediately. If you have strong interpersonal and communication skills, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Convene and facilitate coalition partner organizations to develop and execute a strategy to advance a campaign.
- Recruit coalition partners.
- Lobby, and recruit coalition partners to lobby, direct and grassroots, on behalf of the coalition. Manage and coordinate relationships with elected officials.
- Regularly communicate campaign updates to coalition partners.
- Create or organize the creation of campaign materials, talking points, organizing toolkits, digital tools including websites as needed, lobbying materials, research reports, polling, and other materials as needed.
- Oversee the execution of coalition legislative, communications, and organizing strategies.
- Organize lobby days, actions, media coverage and other campaigns activities on behalf of the coalition and/or coalition partner organizations.
- Ensure that coalition work centers the needs and leadership of directly impacted people.
- Ensure that coalition strategy is based in grassroots power-building and leadership development.
- Ensure that coalition strategy advances a progressive worldview.
- As needed, participate in fundraising for the coalition from mid and high-level donors and foundations.
- Works in partnership with campaign consultants as needed.
- This role is currently not a supervisory position, but may evolve with the work into supervision of staff.
- At least 3 years of professional experience working on grassroots organizing campaigns, issue-based campaigns, legislative campaigns required.
- Highly organized with demonstrated success developing and advancing programs and campaigns.
- Demonstrated success leading a legislative campaign.
- Ability to engage a variety of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, forums, and elected officials.
- Demonstrated success in setting priorities, shaping processes, and developing infrastructure that creates strong and efficient advocacy efforts.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and coalition building skills. Excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Experience navigating cross-organizational partnerships. Strong ability to work with a variety of personality types and work styles.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to present information clearly in a variety of formats and styles for different audiences.
- Demonstrated mastery of power analysis tools and the Midwest Academy strategy chart or equivalent.
- Familiarity with New York State government.
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills, with attention to detail.
- Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Willingness to travel statewide and work some evenings and weekends
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package including a quality family health plan, 401k, paid holidays, paid time off and more.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.