About the New Mexico Organizing/State Director
The New Mexico Organizing/State Director will have the opportunity to build a strong organizing culture from the ground up. We are looking for someone who has the skills and drive to organize a strong, progressive, and durable political organization in the state. No one person can do all of this on their own. You will work with our New Mexico and National Teams to implement an organizing model that builds our base of activists, members, and leaders to become the state's largest political volunteer base. The main quality we are looking for in this position is a track record of organizing people from different backgrounds into meaningful, united action.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Member/Coalition Organizing and Leadership Development
- Supervise and coach NM-WFP staff to develop and execute organizing plans that build WFP’s base of supporters, volunteers, and membership, as well as develops that base into WFP leaders
- Ensure that the state chapter properly tracks and meets national metrics and goals
- Work with the WFP team and partners to organize and facilitate training workshops that develop the skills, knowledge, and analysis of our members, leaders, and candidates
- Serve as a NM-WFP lead and representative on key campaign coalition tables
- Cultivate relationships with allies, partners, constituency leaders, elected officials and their staff, stakeholders, donors, and foundations to expand NM-WFP’s base of support
Electoral and Field Work
- Supervise and coach Campaigns Director to develop and execute electoral and issue campaigns as well as:Develop, organize, and facilitate a candidate endorsement process to identify WFP champions
- Develop and execute a volunteer and paid voter outreach program, including door-to-door canvass, phone bank, and text operations
- Produce regular and end-of-campaign reports to monitor progress toward goals and document outcomes for funders, organizational partners, and candidates
- Oversee vended campaign work including paid mail, digital ads, radio ads, etc.
- Work with Campaigns Director and Senior Organizer to ensure alignment and integration of campaign and organizing objectives
Governing Body Management and Development
- Develop and staff a state governing body made up of key institutional and grassroots partners to guide the state chapter’s priorities
- Conduct relational meetings with progressive labor unions, social justice groups, and grassroots activists to identify potential governing body members
- Work with the governing body to identify and recruit prospects to grow body and fill vacancies
- Coordinate regular governing body meetings
- Facilitate and provide strategic leadership for governing body meetings and decisions
- Maintain productive communications and relationships with governing body members
Media and Communications
- Serve as lead organizational spokesperson for community events and media relations including writing and delivering speeches to engage the public in chapter priorities
- Work with national communications staff to generate media coverage of WFP’s work in New Mexico and to shift overall narratives of the political landscape
- Oversee NM-WFP’s digital presence including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and e-mail
- Raise the funds necessary to carry out the objectives of the organization and to grow the capacity of the organization to set more ambitious goals over time
- Develop and lead local individual donor and foundation fundraising including organizational dues, political donations, house parties and events, appeal letters, and digital efforts
- Work with Regional Director and national Development team on fundraising efforts including writing grant proposals, concept papers, and campaign descriptions, as well as:Identify funding opportunities and develop relationships with grant-makers
- Oversee the completion grant reports in a thorough and timely manner
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with current and potential major donors
- Plan and work with other staff and volunteers to implement annual membership drives and fundraising events
- Create and manage budgets for campaigns and various organizational tax statuses
- Work with NM Campaigns Director national Director of Operations to ensure legal and campaign finance compliance
- Oversee the recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of talented state-based staff
- Ensure proper on-boarding and training of new staff
- Oversee the supervision of staff including goal setting, weekly check-ins, professional development planning, and (when necessary) remediation or termination
- Create a safe and open atmosphere for teamwork and cooperation to achieve organizational priorities and goals
Other Duties as Assigned
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 5 years of experience in community or labor organizing
- At least 3 years of experience leading teams, including direct supervisory experience
- At least 1 years of experience in political campaigns
- Demonstrated fundraising experience in campaign and/or nonprofit settings
- Excellent grasp of contemporary political issues and current events
- Experience and aptitude with multi-faceted planning processes
- Strong analytical skills and sound political judgment
- Persuasive verbal and writing skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a charged atmosphere
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, one-on-one and in a group
- Proven capacity to effectively and thoughtfully lead other staff and drive performance
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a team environment
- Capacity to multitask in a fast-paced setting
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights/ weekends, depending on campaign needs
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods in order to perform routine office tasks and staff events
- Car and valid driver’s license required (mileage reimbursed)
- Intermediate computer skills, including Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Docs & Spreadsheets)
- Experience working with VAN, Votivate, or other voter file software
- Bilingual Spanish/ English strongly preferred
- Understanding of New Mexico social justice and political ecosystem strongly preferred
What Else Should You Know?
Salary: The salary range for this position is between $60,000 to $70,000 annually depending on experience. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. WFP also offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays, and generous vacation and sick time.
Location: Ideally this role will be based in Albuquerque or Santa Fe.
Application Deadline: Priority will be given to applications received prior to April 23, 2021.
Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a supervisory position, not included in our bargaining unit. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
About Working Families Party
The Working Families Party is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. Our People’s Charter spells out our roadmap to a nation that cares for all of us. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
WFP is made up of individual and organizational members who come together to build a new political movement to change America.
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.