Details: $20 to $25 per hour
2300 Arboretum Drive East
The Arboretum Foundation, a non-profit membership organization, and has provided support for Washington Park Arboretum since 1935. The Foundation manages membership and volunteer programs, raises funds and advocates for the Arboretum. Events and programs include the annual Opening Night Party at the Northwest Flower & Garden Festival, plant sales and other events. The Foundation raises and provides funds for essential Arboretum operations and activities including arboriculture, garden maintenance, and environmental education programs. In 2016, the Arboretum Foundation took on the supporting function of the Seattle Japanese Garden.
The Bookkeeper/Office Assistant is a part-time nonexempt hourly position (50 to 60% FTE-average of 20-24 hours per week) well suited for an individual with either an associates or bachelors degree or equivalent experience such as bookkeeping or performing accounts payable and payroll. This position requires a person that is detailed oriented, personable, and who is well suited to working in a small-team setting to meet the goals of the Arboretum Foundation.
The Bookkeeper/Office Assistant will assist the Director of Finance in managing accounts payable, reconciling bank statements, generating reports, making bank deposits and issuing checks. This position will also be answering phones, helping customers in our gift shop, and performing other clerical tasks as needed for the organization as a whole.
The Bookkeeper/Office Assistant reports to the Director of Finance. Responsibilities include:
· Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, perform all aspects of accounts payable including reviewing the account coding submitted by other staff members for accuracy.
· Provide other assistance to the Director of Finance such as following up on accounts and pledges receivable, inputting data into excel spreadsheets, compiling payroll time sheets, entering data into QuickBooks, and compiling financial reports.
· Help board members, staff, and volunteers track actual expense versus the budget.
· Enter monthly sales tax information into the state online system.
· Assist the Director of Finance in making deposits of all funds received by the Foundation including donations, memberships, event sales and sales from various operations, including the Gift Shop.
· Perform account reconciliations as needed.
· Maintain files on receipts, checks, back-up documentation and invoices; reconcile credit card receipts.
· Prepare weekly gift shop deposits by taking daily reports and compiling them into weekly deposits using excel and entering the weekly information into QuickBooks.
· Provide assistance and oversight at scheduled weekend and evening fundraising events, which includes some light physical labor.
· Help staff the gift shop, or assist volunteers in the gift shop, answer phones as needed, and assist Operations Coordinator with daily tasks.
- Salary: $20 to $25 per hour
- Position is approximately 50 to 60% time, with flexible hours; preferably Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Benefits package includes vacation, sick leave, holidays and retirement plan. Medical Benefits if position is 60% FTE.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· Associates or Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
· Knowledge of accounting systems; proficiency with Excel and QuickBooks software preferred.
· Detail oriented and proven experience meeting deadlines.
· Comfortable handling confidential information.
· Self-motivated and ability to work as an individual or as a team member.
· Ability to adapt successfully to multiple tasks that occur in a rapidly changing environment.
How to Apply and Timeline
For more information about the Foundation’s programs or to access this job description on-line, please visit our Web site at: www.arboretumfoundation.org; position to be filled as soon as is feasible. Thanks for your interest!
Submit resume and cover letter by mail or email:
Attn: Gary Wortzel, Director of Finance
2300 Arboretum Dr. E.
Seattle, WA 98112-2300
No phone calls please
Benefits package includes vacation, sick leave, holidays and retirement plan. Medical Benefits if position is 60% FTE.
Minimum Education Required