1620 I Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The Director of Finance/Controller is an essential leadership team member at DC Primary Care Association (DCPCA), responsible for all financial functions for the organization.
The position is primarily responsible for financial functions including payroll, AP/AR, monthly financial reporting and reconciliation, grant reporting, the annual audit process - leading all financial and regulatory compliance processes, and the annual budget process. The Director of Finance/Controller is responsible for working with internal and external stakeholders and providing strategic financial analysis and leadership. The role also oversees and manages the work of the Staff Accountant. This position is a multi-faceted hands-on and hands-in leadership role.
The successful candidate has an accomplished track record in all aspects of financial services and has served as a senior financial leader. This talented processional is flexible, has a strong work ethic, is committed to strengthening financial and operational systems, and can work effectively with teams. The ideal candidate has experience in the non-profit industry, including managing government grants and contracts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accounting and Finance
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO and senior leadership team members; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all board committees, donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting
- Lead the annual audit process, coordinate with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary. Oversee preparation of annual tax filings
- Ensure adherence to all federal, state and local reporting requirements including but not limited to IRS 990, FICA, FWT, 403b
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations, coordinate the month-end closing process and annual financial audit, maintain internal controls and spearhead grants management
- Ensure that the organization complies with rules relating to its Section 501(c)(3) status
- Ensure the compliance and implementation of new accounting pronouncements and regulations. Establish and maintain relationships in the non-profit accounting industry, ensuring a continuous and relevant knowledge base
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to leadership of the organization
- Regularly partner with DCPCA senior leaders to ensure programmatic budget forecasting and planning occurs
- Serve as lead staff for the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants to manage financial resources, business continuity and compliance
- Manage and develop the staff accountant utilizing professional development strategies and strong systems of accountability
- Work in collaboration with our nonprofit HR consultant to ensure timely response to HR needs and support
- Lead annual employee benefit selection and open enrollment process, with the support of HR consultant
- Manage related staff to conduct annual review and management of employee benefits, as well as personnel file audit
- Ensure compliance with personnel policies and procedures, especially as related to time off and leave procedures
- Manage 5500 submission and nondiscrimination testing for employee benefits, along with regulatory employee benefit communication
Business Operations and Administration
- Develop and/or improve the implementation of accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure an effective and efficient operation
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage including but not limited to liability and D&O
- Provide an annual risk management review
- Management and maintenance of office rental contracts and office systems including but not limited to space lease, telephone, security, computer software and hardware, and other furnishings and equipment
- Maintain strong working knowledge of all policies, procedures and regulations governing DCPCA
- Conduct special projects as requested by the CEO to support the business requirements of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required, MBA and/or a CPA is preferred
- 5-7 years of accounting and financial forecasting experience required
- Experience working in a non-profit setting with government contracts is strongly preferred
- Skilled in tracking, managing, and allocating expenses to multiple grants and funding sources
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds
- Ability to strategically analyze and plan for changes in financial conditions, risk profiles and emerging trends
- Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks and Paychex payroll software required
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- The willingness and desire to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and to take on additional responsibilities
- Outstanding follow-up and tracking skills in addition to the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
DCPCA offers competitive salary based on experience and skills of employees. Additionally, DCPCA provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b match, ancillary benefits, access to Flexible Spending Accounts, and generous leave benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter in attachment form to email@example.com with the subject line, “DCPCA Director of Finance/Controller.” Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.