Details: Monument Academy has evaluated its salary structure in comparison to the sector. We offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience, that place us in the top 75% of the sector average.
500 19th Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Chief of Academic Program
Unique opportunity to be a senior leader at an innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding school that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and will have 150 students when we reach full enrollment through 8th grade in 2018-2019. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life.
About the Position
The Chief of Academic Programs will report directly to the Principal providing operational and strategic oversight across all academic operations. The Chief of Academic Programs will manage three teams: Academics, Special Education, and Student Support and will direct the heads of these departments to ensure academic achievement, implementation fidelity, and performance management in support of the core mission of providing excellent academic, residential and well-being supports to our students. This leader will partner with the Chief Officers for Student Life, Well Being and School Operations in managing Monument Academy.
This position provides an experienced instructional leader the opportunity to work with a group of 50 passionate educators and behavioral support specialists to drive instructional excellence for some of the highest need students in Washington, D.C. This leader should have excellent managerial skills and a desire to support a team of visionary directors in implementing the Monument Academy model. Additionally it is important to know that 60% of our current student population have IEPs and we project that number to rise. The ability to partner and manage with the leaders responsible for special education quality and compliance is a critical part of this role.
The current operating budget for Monument Academy is approximately $11 million. The Chief of Academic Programs will support the Principal, President, and Chief Executive Officer on all aspects of the Monument Academy’s program model and will be the primary conduit between the academic team and the rest of the school.
As mentioned, the Chief of Academic Programs will be responsible for overseeing the Academic, Special Education, and Student Support Teams. The position’s core duties include:
The Academic Team
- Instructional Coaches
- Data and Assessments
- Mastery Based Grading
- Progress Reporting
- Student Driven Learning
- Core Content Curriculum
- Math Interventions
- Reading Interventions
- Technology Incorporation
- Personalized Learning Programs
- Authentic Learning
Special Education Compliance
- IEP Compliance
- SPED Transportation
- Compliance Reporting
- Family Communications
- Tiered intervention systems
- Project Based Learning
- SLC and Advisory Design
The Student Support Team
- Restorative Practices Integration
- Family Meetings
- Before, after school and lunch/recess coverage
- Supervision of Deans and SKILLs Team
- Responsive Classroom Practices (morning/closing meeting, community meetings)
- Positive consequences and incentives structure
This is an exciting opportunity for an operations focused senior leader who wants to see the direct impact of their work on the lives of our highest need children.
Candidates should possess the following:
Character Traits and Values
- Commitment to the mission of Monument Academy and working in “the Monument Way”
- Passion for teaching and learning
- Commitment to positive behavioral approaches a MUST
- Emotional self-regulation, patience, maturity and humility
- Honesty and integrity
- Curiosity and creativity
- Optimism and enthusiasm
- Excellent people skills
- Respect for students, families, and staff
- Ability to accept and integrate feedback into practice
- Proactive and able to anticipate issues and manage unanticipated events with thoughtfulness and grace
- Willingness to learn and grow in a new school environment
- Thoughtful self-reflection and good self-care skills
- Commitment to teamwork
Skills and Qualifications
- You have experience serving as an instructional manager in a school system for a minimum of 3 years
- You have supervised a staff of significant size through director level staff.
- You have been able to drive quantifiable results in an academic environment for high need students.
- You believe deeply in Monument Academy’s mission, and in our ability to achieve ambitious goals.
- You have successfully managed and developed teams by creating a feedback-rich and data-driven culture.
- You have deep experience using academic data to drive instructional and curricular strategies.
- You are a systematic thinker who has successfully built processes and systems that have helped instructional leaders and teachers be more efficient and effective in their work.
- You believe effective instruction is full of joy and rigor.
- You are always looking to grow your own expertise and practice, and seek out resources and best practices from others.
- You have effectively implemented instructional leadership best practices, including providing observation feedback, leading data meetings, and executing other Leverage Leadership techniques.
- You have a graduate degree in education.
- Competitive salaries, commensurate with experience/education level
- Benefit package that includes health care, dental, and vision plans. Healthcare includes both HMO and PPO options. Monument Academy covers 95% for employee only plans, and 75% for employee, plus family plans
- Flexible spending accounts through TASC
- 401k plan - Employer match available
- Generous vacation leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.