104 St. Mark's Place
George Jackson Academy (GJA) is the only school of its kind in New York City: an independent, nonsectarian upper elementary and middle school for academically capable boys from lower-income and underserved families. The school was created to engage boys from 4th to 8th grade, a time when young men are particularly vulnerable to disengaging from school. Currently, GJA serves more than 140 young men of color to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist lead fifth grade teachers in Reading, Writing and Math.
- Assist in the leading of homeroom morning meetings.
- Completing required duty assignments; assists with class coverages.
- Collaborates with colleagues for lesson ideas, curriculum planning, and general communication and support.
- Contributing proactively to a positive school culture.
- Engaging in professional development as suggested by the school administration.
- Exuding professionalism and adhering to all George Jackson Academy rules, regulations and expectations.
- Associates are also expected to participate in the life of the school, including attendance at required events: faculty meetings, curriculum night, faculty retreat, admissions testing days, report card meetings, and other faculty required attended events.
- Knowledge of Singapore Math program is a plus.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Teaching experience necessary.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume expressing interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls.