1916 Park Avenue
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
In addition, our Promise curriculum includes grade-appropriate character education, helping students at every level build crucial non-cognitive skills such as resilience, grit, and curiosity. We also provide on-site medical, dental, and psychological services, as well as a healthy, freshly made breakfast, lunch and snack each day. Plus, the vast majority of our students participate in our after-school programs, where they receive extensive academic support and engage in a wide range of recreation and enrichment activities.
Not only do our students receive a high-quality, standards-based education, but they and their families also have access to HCZ’s comprehensive network of supports, including counseling, benefits assistance, and other social services.
To support our teachers, we provide them with weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As an ELA Coach at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure the reach their full potential.
We are seeking an ELA Coach for Lower Elementary (K-2). The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate bi-weekly department meetings designed to support student development of essential ELA skills and curricular alignment with Common Core State Standards, city, state, and national exams
- Develop curriculum, syllabi, and assessments
- Communicate regularly with classroom teachers to reflect upon student progress, assessments, and direction for further instruction
- Regularly observe teachers and meet with them to provide feedback
- Develop and execute professional development for school faculty based on teacher needs, including peer observations
- Facilitate specific structured small group instruction of remedial students
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Master’s degree with at 4-6 years’ experience required; some experience in an administrative/leadership capacity preferred
- 4 – 6 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification in subject Early Childhood required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume HERE. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE