500 19th Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Director of Family and Community Engagement
Unique opportunity to be on a growing team, at an innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding school that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and will have 160 students when we reach full enrollment through 8th grade in 2018/19. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life
The Director of Family and Community Engagement, must be a professional who is deeply dedicated to low-income youth and their families and their success not just during the school day, but also throughout the school year and after they leave the school. This includes driving student recruitment and enrollment, transition programing for our 8th graders to high school, parent engagement and wrap-around supports, and other duties involving Monument Academy families. The Director of Family and Community Engagement must be able to meaningfully connect with our students and their families to effectively engage them and to provide them with the resources they need, and to effectively manage a team to operationalize this work. This person must also be able to work effectively with an array of community partners, stakeholders and to navigate systems on behalf of our students and families.
We are looking for a team member who can work independently when needed and a self-starter who can identify and develop new ideas that work effectively with existing programs, and then develop systems, processes and procedures to execute them with fidelity on an ongoing basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Student Enrollment and Recruitment:
- Serve as school lead for recruiting new students and executing a successful student recruitment strategy.
- Contribute to creation of a student recruitment plan at start of school year
- Lead in tabling events, community outreach, and prospective family cultivation * Serve as relationship manager with community leaders and organizations
- Coordinate key elements of the Student Enrollment cycle
- Provide recurring enrollment updates to Support Team
- Conduct open houses and school tours for prospective and interested families
- Support Chief of School Operations and in updating student enrollment database to ensure completeness and 100% residency verification for purposes of OSSE audits
- Maintaining a database of key individuals and organizations that work with target families and communities for purposes of ongoing recruitment.
8th Grade to High School Transition:
- Build relationships with area public and private high schools and potential out of state options
- Create and maintain a database of contacts for application and enrollment in a variety of high school options
- Design high school transition plan, to include a schedule of high school visits for students and families, selection guides, application materials and deadlines and the support plan for the transition
- Support students and families through the high school application process, including entering the MySchoolsDC lottery and applications to private schools
- Inform Advisory curriculum with relevant components related to high school preparation for 8th graders
- Coordinate with the Special Education Team to ensure the full integration with IEP transition plans
- Lead strategy and execution around planning supports for Monument students beyond middle school
Parent & Community Engagement (Guide the Family Engagement Coordinator to:
- Create and share parent engagement goals and plan, and review metrics monthly to assess progress
- Connect families to Social Worker on campus or grade level counselor if supports are needed
- Plan, communicate, and execute at least three engaging programs per semester.
- Create a calendar of and attend community events and build relationships with existing and new community partners
- Plan monthly parent meetings based on parent feedback and community needs
- Coordinate and manage parent facing communications in conjunction with other team members (website, social media, newsletters)
- Recruit parents for the Family School Association and support in the planning and facilitation of the FSA Meetings
- Organize parent volunteer initiatives and ensure program compliance
- Undertake regular (3x/year?) family surveys to assess satisfaction and ascertain interests and needs and report results to leadership team
- Support operational tasks, such as supervision and coaching of Front Office Staff, Registrar and Family Engagement Coordinator
- Support financial tasks, such as contributing to annual budgeting process for family initiatives
- Support school-wide supervision duties including front desk coverage, as needed
- Translate spoken and written materials, as needed
Monument Academy offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience. The school offers a strong benefits package that includes health care (HMO and PPO options), retirement plan (employer match available), Flexible Spending accounts, and generous vacation leave for its administrators.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.