Career Readiness Facilitator-Full-Time, Brooklyn, NY
- Job posted by Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow
As Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 35th Anniversary, we are looking for an energetic, committed and passionate Career Readiness Facilitator to work with youth between the ages of 16 and 24 in our Young Adult Internship Program (YAIP) Plus Program. The YAIP Program Plus is a 14-week paid internship program for disconnected young adults who have current or previous ACS involvement, which incorporates ongoing education, computer skills training, college preparation and employer support. Internships are provided in businesses that allow interns to build work experience and improve job skills. Upon completion of internships, interns are placed in permanent jobs, training programs or educational settings. The Career Readiness Facilitator is responsible for developing and facilitating work readiness workshops; handling all issues relating to internship development and management; outreach and recruitment; intake and assessment; retention and follow-up all while utilizing trauma informed practices.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
- Prepare interns for employment by conducting and assisting to develop career development workshops that addresses such topics as: time management; managing stress; building self-esteem; effective listening; goal setting; teamwork; attitude and; general life skills
- Develop and manage multiple internship job sites that provides valuable job skills/work experience. Including retrieving timesheets from internship sites and entering internship hours into funder’s database in a timely fashion
- Assist in conducting weekly individual and/or group counseling sessions with each assigned intern to ensure each is adjusting to and complying with the program requirements and is progressing on internship sites
- Maintain intern case files and accurately record case notes and worksite notes on a regular basis; enter data into the YAIP Online Database and YAIP outcomes management system in a timely fashion.
- Conduct intake assessments with young adult applicants to ensure both eligibility and suitability for the program using standard OBT and funder guidelines. This includes ensuring completeness and necessary follow-up on all applicants’ paperwork and accurately entering applications into the funder’s database
- Assist in the creation and execution of a recruitment marketing plan in order to recruit quality interns every cycle. This includes actively developing ongoing relationships with agencies and non-profits who service young adults in the foster care system.
- Develop employment and educational opportunities and place interns into jobs after program completion
- Track interns each month for 9 months after program completion through events, letters, phone calls, home visits, and other technological ways of communications such as text and Facebook.
- Organize and execute retention strategies to maintain engagement with past cycles
- Actively follow-up with interns regarding outstanding required documentation and obtain outcome placement documentation
- Maintain an active database of social support services and other programs for referral purposes
- Provide daily intervention on disciplinary issues and provide corrective action recommendations based upon program
- Provide ongoing feedback on intern issues to other staff, including administrators
- Enforce program policies and procedures
- When appropriate, in conjunction with the Job Developers and/or Counselors, provide intervention services at employer worksites as needed in an effort to mediate any on the job concerns faced by employers or participants.
- In partnership with the Job Developers, establish and maintain relationships with the employers and Human Resource personnel of the companies that hire OBT trainees to facilitate the collection of placement and retention documentation.
- Conduct home visits in order to reengage participants
- Develop, coordinate, and conduct reengagement activities and events for participants
- Cultivate relationships with organizations and develop resources for program incentives
- Work in partnership with the College Access Coordinator to maintain relationships with trainees attending college and assist with obtaining retention documentation.
- Perform all other appropriate duties assigned by supervisor
Qualifications: Master’s in Social Work (MSW), mental health, counseling, or a relevant field. Facilitation and/or Group Work counseling experience strongly preferred. Experience working with young adults impacted by trauma, mental health challenges, and the foster care and juvenile justice systems strongly preferred. Energetic, self-starter, thrives in fast-paced environment, with outstanding attention to detail. Must possess the ability to model and maintain a culture of high expectations and high support; Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred; Must be willing to work as part of a team and be able to establish positive relationships with at-risk youth. Computer proficiency in MS Office a must.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Competitive salary and full benefits
- Satisfying and team-oriented work environment
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply go to https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA Enter Position code IM3V6 when prompted.