Elizabeth Stone House
8 Notre Dame St
Elizabeth Stone House, Job Posting
Title: Development Associate
About the Elizabeth Stone House
The Elizabeth Stone House (ESH) partners with adult and child survivors of domestic violence (DV) and related trauma – mental illness, housing instability and substance misuse – to achieve safety, stability, and overall wellbeing, thereby contributing to the strength, resiliency, and health of the community we serve.
A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, ESH was founded in 1974 as a residential alternative to institutionalization for women with mental illness. ESH today provides comprehensive, integrated services to help low-income survivors of domestic violence and related challenges heal from trauma, remain clean and sober, address their mental illness, increase self-efficacy, find safe, stable housing and develop financial literacy and job skills.
The Elizabeth Stone House is in a unique period of growth with a 5-year capital campaign coming to a close within the next year. This closing will initiate the construction of a new building in Roxbury that will scale up the agency’s programming capabilities and fundraising needs significantly. We are looking for an ambitious and capable professional who will join our development team to help us through this transition and secure the funding we need to expand our operations.
Primary Job Objectives: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Development Associate is a member of the development department, which is responsible for donor cultivation and stewardship, communications and fundraising for the Elizabeth Stone House.
To further the mission of the Elizabeth Stone House, the Development Associate works directly with the Director of Development and other development staff in researching, cultivating and stewarding current and potential Elizabeth Stone House supporters.
Research and Stewardship
· Identify, research and analyze prospects for major gift cultivation and solicitation.
· Prepare funding requests and write grant proposals.
· Maintain and manage the Wealth Engine software and database; including regular updates of new donors.
· Maintain and manage Abila donor database on a daily basis
· In collaboration with other development staff, plan and coordinate donor touchpoint events, including open houses and donor recognition events for current and prospective Elizabeth Stone House donors and volunteers.
· Maintain relationships with assigned donors and prospects.
Events and Third Party Fundraisers
· Work with the Deputy Director of Development to plan and manage our annual Wilderness Heals pledge hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, our You Matter! appreciation and fundraising event, and our annual golf outing.
· Act as liaison for all third party fundraisers, including providing materials and attending and speaking at events when necessary.
· Act as liaison for all board member fundraisers and “friend raisers,” including providing materials and attending and speaking at events when necessary.
· Adhere to the highest standards of personal and business ethics in promoting Elizabeth Stone House internally and externally.
· Other related duties as assigned, including but not limited to seasonal activities and all-agency activities.
· Bachelor’s Degree – communications or related field preferred
· Superior presentation and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate donors and prospects and the ability to interact with a diverse constituency.
· Ability to juggle multiple projects, with a strong attention to detail. Sense of humor required.
· Excellent writing and editing skills.
· Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office programs; donor research experience with Wealth Engine a plus; experience with donor management software (Abila) preferred. Experience with ETO (Efforts to Outcomes) performance management software also a plus.
· Availability to participate in evening/weekend events and to travel, if required.
· Strong interest in social services in general and service to survivors of domestic violence in particular.
· Minimum of 2 years relevant experience, preferably in a social service organization.
· The successful candidate will be passionate about the Elizabeth Stone House’s mission and value how Development contributes to that mission. The ideal candidate will be confident, creative and entrepreneurial with the ability to work in a collaborative team. He/she will be solutions-oriented and capable of working proactively in a fast-paced environment.
· This is a full-time (36 hours/week) position with a base salary of $40,000. Actual salary will be based on range and length of experience and on level and relevance of education.
· The Elizabeth Stone House offers competitive benefits, including a flexible family-friendly schedule, generous vacation, holidays and paid time off, full health benefits, 401k, and professional development training opportunities.
· The Elizabeth Stone House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Apply by email to Jim May, Director of Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include resume and writing sample.
Short and long term disability insurance
Medical and dependent care pre-tax savings account
Generous time off
Minimum Education Required