Details: Commensurate with experience
11 Park Place
Youth Represent is seeking a Development & Communications Associate to immediately join our team. We are looking for a bright and energetic individual with an interest in racial and social justice to provide support for our growing fundraising efforts. Applicants should demonstrate a strong background in development and have an interest in working in a dynamic, social justice environment. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing skills, an ability to work independently with good judgment, and be self-motivated and reliable.
About Youth Represent
Founded in 2006, Youth Represent operates a community-lawyering model that combines direct legal representation, youth leadership development, and advocacy efforts for systemic reform. We partner with organizations across New York City to offer on-site legal services, teach youth strategies to safely and effectively exercise their legal rights, and advance our policy agenda. Through direct legal representation in criminal, housing, family, employment, immigration, and educational venues, Youth Represent fights to ensure that young people affected by the criminal justice system are afforded every opportunity to reclaim lives of dignity, self-fulfillment, and engagement in their communities.
- Write grant applications, including drafting, proof reading and managing proposals and application forms that successfully meet the requirements of potential funders
- Support preparation of presentations for funders and partners
- Support the mid-term and final grant reporting process
- Track and process all gifts and maintain records in E-Tapestry
- Closely follow and build on calendar of donor communications including overseeing direct mail appeals, donor surveys, and timely updates
- Help design and coordinate annual appeal
- Manage Youth Represent’s individual donors, including identifying potential major gift donors, developing asks, and coordinating meetings and site visits with the Senior Management team and Board of Directors
- Assist in designing and managing events
- Draft communications with elected officials to secure public funds, including letters of inquiry and proposals
- Conduct timely follow-up after meetings between Director of Policy and state actors
- Support the preparation of communications materials including annual reports, newsletters, pamphlets, and press packets, so as to effectively convey the agency’s mission and goals
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure that the agency website is attractive, contains appropriate graphics and accurate information, effectively conveys the agency’s mission and goals, and utilizes up-to-date technology for fundraising purposes
- Create and send e-blasts, including newsletters, solicitation emails, and updates to partner organizations
- Oversee and grow social media presence
- Serve as a liaison with the Junior Board and provide support on their fundraising events and campaigns
- Maintain mailing lists for Marketing and Communications
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience required
- At least 1-3 years fundraising experience
- Superb writing skills and an ability to write succinctly and quickly when deadlines require
- Ability to organize and prioritize efficiently
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and in collaboration with others
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to achieve fundraising goals
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity and comfort in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and G Suite
- Professional presence
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize requests
Youth Represent offers a generous benefits package, including vacation, sick/personal days, health insurance, dental and vision coverage, a 401K, and disability.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Resumes@YouthRepresent.org with the subject line “Development – [your last name]”. Please combine all materials into one document in either Word or PDF format. Applications that do not comport with these instructions will not be considered. Writing samples can be a segment of a larger work; examples of development or communications writing (grants, solicitation letters, etc.) are strongly preferred.
Youth Represent is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applications without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by law.