POSITION TITLE: Senior Program Associate, National Young Leadership Cabinet
DEPARTMENT: National Young Leadership
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, National Young Leadership Cabinet
The Jewish Federations of North America (‘JFNA’) represents 148 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually for social welfare, social services and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah (charity and social justice) and Torah (Jewish learning).
The National Young Leadership Department at JFNA works with Federations and partner organizations to grow and deepen engagement of the 20’s-40’s demographic – a key priority for the movement. The Department strengthens the capacity of local communities to inspire an interest and passion for Jewish life, leadership and philanthropy among young people.
National Young Leadership Cabinet – a premier talent development initiative founded in 1963 – trains and inspires the most promising young community volunteers for positions of leadership. Historically, Cabinet has successfully attracted individuals who lead at the highest levels of Jewish communal life and who role-model leadership for their peers.
The Senior Program Associate focuses on the educational and training strategy for members of Cabinet in the final years (fourth and fifth years) of the program. With a new curriculum launching in July, 2018, a series of specialized training opportunities for seasoned Cabinet members will be designed and implemented. These initiatives include community-based mentoring, individualized leadership development targeting core skills and competencies, and an ‘off-boarding’ initiative to seamlessly connect participants to ‘next step’ options for ongoing Jewish leadership and service as alumni. The position manages multiple relationships with Cabinet members, mentors and local Federation professionals, managing and growing an ecosystem of several hundred volunteers to stimulate high-level leadership learning, engagement and activism.
· Implement and manage training curriculum for Cabinet members in the final two years of the (five-year) program
· Manage and execute planning of Cabinet Retreat and Domestic Leadership Mission
· Manage and train “Cabinet Connectors” – a group of up to 20 Cabinet members mentoring new members in small groups
· Manage and train a cadre of Cabinet alumni to mentor current Cabinet members
· Manage and engage/provide relationship based customer service for ~100 Cabinet members and their communities
· Implement regional training for Cabinet members in major metropolitan areas geographically dispersed across North America
· Develop and manage database of leadership opportunities within the Jewish community for ‘graduating’ Cabinet members, and publicize/promote these opportunities
· Strengthen the Cabinet brand across Federation movement and throughout the Jewish community
· Strengthen Cabinet ‘customer satisfaction’ and retention during the final two years of the program
- Track record of planning/implementing substantive Jewish leadership experiences and trainings
- Experience in managing volunteers – ideally, high net worth individuals
- Excellent customer service and relationship building skills
- Strategic capability to ‘see the big picture’ and ‘connect the dots’ across multiple volunteer/professional stakeholders
- Experience in program design/ conference planning
- Knowledge of mentoring as a leadership development strategy
- Knowledge of the Jewish communal landscape and its institutions
- Ability to create ‘people networks’ that deliver lasting and transformative impact
- 5-7 years’ professional experience showing progression of increased leadership and responsibility
- Flexibility, a sense of humor and an enterprising spirit required! Desire to change the world!
Minimum Education Required