Development Director, Washington, D.C.
Purpose of the Position
The Development Director is a fundraising and development expert who maintains superb relationships with existing Coptic Orphans donors and effectively cultivates new donors and partners. The primary goal of the position is to strategically plan and direct Coptic Orphans' development and fundraising work over the long and short-terms; design and implement initiatives and activities in the U.S. headquarters; and coordinate development and donor relations strategies across all Coptic Orphans offices.
The Development Director oversees donor relations plans for the overall organization, in coordination with the country directors. S/he is directly responsible for managing the U.S. donor relations staff, ensuring that they effectively communicate the mission and work of Coptic Orphans as they build close relationships with current stakeholders and cultivate future supporters.
At Coptic Orphans, our strong commitment to excellence in service delivery means that we seek only the best people to carry out our mission. We are committed to a Child-Safe environment as the children's dignity, safety, and well-being are at the center of all we do. As such, all selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check or working with children check, as part of their hiring process. Continued employment is contingent upon the check indicating clear records of any child-related violations. The check may be repeated as required by each country's laws and provisions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Development Director include:
- Create a comprehensive strategic plan for fund development efforts, including new and innovative development and fundraising strategies that target all levels and types of long and short-term fundraising, in order to ensure sustainable funding streams for program continuity and expansion.
- Propose new initiatives using all new and existing ideas and make recommendations for long-range planning and strategic directions based on analysis, research and studies to expand and improve how Coptic Orphans currently raises funds.
- Network with donors, partners, and other organizations to promote the cause and the mission of Coptic Orphans.
- Set, monitor and ensure achievement of annual fundraising goals and long-range development targets in close collaboration with the Communications Director.
- Identify and cultivate potential donors and stakeholders to engage and involve them while positioning the organization for continued sustainable funding streams.
- Effectively manage donor relations staff and functions in the U.S. headquarters and provide guidance to donor relations staff in all country offices.
- Collaborate with country office directors to assist with strategies for reaching the organization's global fundraising goals.
- Plan, design, organize and manage fundraising activities such as events, dinners, presentations, outreach campaigns and other means of development and fundraising to reach set goals and targets.
- Coordinate and facilitate fundraising and development events across country offices.
- Research and ensure that "matching gift" and similar programs boost Coptic Orphans' funding.
- Direct processes associated with fundraising and sponsorship; coordinate and promote the sponsorship program for all offices, including housing appeals. Establish, document and implement relevant policies and procedures to ensure consistent application across all offices.
- Facilitate the implementation of sponsorship processes in Egypt. Oversee sponsorship correspondence and the maintenance and updating of the sponsor manual and welcome packet; oversee the coordination of U.S. sponsor visits.
- Oversee all relevant database files for donors and children to ensure records contain accurate and up-to-date information regarding address and gift entry updates, child gifts, special requests, credit card changes, and direct debit updates. Manage all donor inquiries and requests.
- Supervise, direct, and manage the Donor Relations Manager(s) and Associates in the United States and oversee donor relations functions in all country offices.
- Ensure a healthy, conducive and productive work environment exists for subordinates and that collaborative and effective interaction is maintained with other departments and country offices.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- A Bachelor or Masters' Degree with a focus in public relations, human development, marketing or other closely related fields; with 20 years of professional experience to include 5 years in development, fundraising and/or marketing.
- Fluency and mastery of the Arabic and English languages is a must.
- Ability to work effectively with various ranks in the Church hierarchy and with diaspora members.
- Effective and dynamic managerial and supervisory skills.
- Ability to eloquently and effectively communicate in verbal and written forms; outstanding interpersonal communication skills to include public speaking and presentation skills: energetic, dynamic, pleasantly outspoken, and a charismatic personality to engage diverse audiences.
- Ability to communicate the passion for Coptic Orphans' mission to the world.
Fiscal Responsibilities (budgeting responsibilities, approval privileges on purchase orders and check requests, reporting and auditing functions)
- Develop, monitor, and manage department budgets.
- Communicate with Finance, Operations, and IT/IS Departments regarding financial goals, donation receipts, donors' bank activities, credit card processes, and other fiscal matters.
- Exhibit fiscal responsibility and thorough examination of expenses related to donor relations.
Extent of Public Contact (within and outside the organization)
- Very extensive public contact with external stakeholders including donors and sponsors, various ranks of clergy and Coptic community leaders, government officials and other organizations.
Physical Demands (walking, lifting, carrying, etc.)
- Limited to typical office environment work; walking, standing, sitting, typing, answering the phone, and occasional lifting of boxes and luggage.
Working Conditions and Environment (i.e., necessary travel, unusual work hours, etc.)
- Required to work extended hours, weekends and off-schedule as necessary to reach target audiences when they are available.
- Extensive domestic travel and some international travel.