Southwest Yamhill Street
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is hiring a full-time legal assistant to support the work of the staff attorneys in its Portland, OR, office.
The legal assistant will support a team of attorneys who provide adult and minor sexual assault survivors with free legal services related to immigration, safety, housing, employment, education, privacy, financial stability, criminal justice advocacy, and identity document/gender marker changes. The legal assistant will often be the first point of contact for our survivor-clients. They will help communicate with VRLC clients and partners, prepare documents, assist with grant reporting, coordinate outreach efforts, and help recruit and promote engagement of law student volunteers. They will work with the head of our Transgender ID project to coordinate volunteers and outreach. The legal assistant is also expected to collaborate effectively with grant and community partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft and file legal documents
- Maintain client files
- Help compile documents, draft personal declarations, and prepare applications for immigration relief, including U Visas, T Visas, and VAWA Self-Petitions, for both principal and derivative applicants
- Draft, edit, and review VRLC educational and outreach materials
- Track data and assist with federal and state grant reporting
- Coordinate VRLC community outreach and education events
- Conduct other administrative/reception tasks such as scheduling, mailings, copying, shredding, communicating with clients, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency
- Strong writing, verbal, and computer skills
- Detail-orientated, professional, and self-motivated
- Ability to establish priorities, multi-task, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated success at working effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment, with a commitment to promoting inclusion and cultural responsiveness
Strongly Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 1 year experience in the legal profession
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting the rights of underserved populations
- Experience working with sexual assault survivors
- Immigration law experience
- Experience working in diverse gay, lesbian, trans, bisexual and/or queer community contexts
VRLC provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance, long & short-term disability insurance, paid holiday, personal, vacation, and sick leave, 403b plan with employer match, free monthly transit pass, and a caring and innovative work environment!
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to VRLC Human Resources by Friday, October 26th. NOTE: Please include your last name and the job title (OR Legal Assistant) in the subject line of your email. Applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and people of all educational backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply.