Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Consultant
- Job posted by Virginia Gildersleeve International Fund (VGIF)
Details: The position requires a commitment of both in-person and virtual work over a period of 4-5 months.
11 Broadway, Suite 510
VGIF is an international women’s fund based in New York City. We invest in grassroots initiatives driven by women and girls in developing economies that sustainably advance their lives. Our grants provide opportunities to women's groups who have incredible potential, enormous courage, and few resources.
Through flexible funding, we invest in their journey towards sustainability, while leveraging our networks to connect them to new partners as they reach towards bigger goals and greater impact on the lives of women and girls in their own communities. We are a lean team with an entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative office environment, and shared commitment to gender equity and justice.
Through its 2019-2022 Strategic Plan, VGIF has re-envisioned its grantmaking program, adopting a 3-stage (6 year) grantmaking model, and a focus on women's Economic Development and Empowerment. For the next 6 years, we will fund in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, and India. As we embrace exciting changes and anticipate greater impact, we are prioritizing efforts to strengthen and enhance our Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) strategies.
We are seeking an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor working on a consultancy basis to lead the development of an MEL framework, as well as to provide technical input and strategic direction on our organizational MEL practices. The MEL Advisor will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with our program staff, as well as liaise with the Programs Committee of the Board of Directors. The consultant may be based in the New York office or work remotely. Candidates located in New York are encouraged to apply.
This is a perfect position for someone who is experienced in the development and implementation of MEL strategies for funders, familiar with women-led organizing around gender equity issues, and able to understand the challenges faced by grassroots organizations in the Global South.
The position requires a commitment of both in-person and virtual work over a period of 4-5 months. Compensation is up to $40,000 and commensurate with experience. Preferred start is December 2018.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Together with VGIF Staff,
- Assess organizational capacity and needs in MEL and lead the development of a robust MEL framework based on our new grantmaking strategy.
- Develop a program theory of change and indicators, and make recommendations to capture measurable progress in VGIF’s areas of focus. This includes tools to collect qualitative and quantitative data across our grant portfolios.
- Support the program team to strengthen organizational MEL systems, database, and processes to ensure our ability to gather evidence that can demonstrate impact and be used for accountability, organizational learning, and decision-making.
- Support the conceptualization and development of a toolkit of MEL resources for use by grantees.
- Promote a MEL culture within the organization, and build MEL board and staff capacity.
- Conceptualize new ways of analyzing, using and reporting on grants data
- Proven track record in designing effective MEL strategies and systems (work with foundations a plus)
- Expertise in MEL for multi-year programs and organizational capacity-building
- Familiarity with MEL requirements from institutional donors, trusts, and foundations
- Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Knowledge of MEL strategies related to gender equality and economic development and empowerment
- Familiarity with cloud-based data management and analysis
- Ability to synthesize quantitative and qualitative data to a reporting format for presentation to funders and other stakeholders
- Experience in designing and delivering in-person and on-line workshops on M&E topics
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication
- Ability to work well within a team and thoughtfully engage a range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to foster a MEL culture within an organization
- Experience living abroad a plus, as well as knowledge of any of our focus countries
- Experience working with grassroots groups, or familiarity with grassroots organizing a must
- Can-do attitude and capacity for creative problem-solving
- Passion for the empowerment of women and girls and supporting local solutions is a must!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to Emily Forhman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use Your Name – MEL Consultant as the subject line.
VGIF is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and we are committed to creating a working environment that is demonstrative of these values.