Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
A Better Balance: The Work and Family Legal Center is seeking to hire a new Grants Manager to join our Development Department to help us raise funds that support the work, mission and institutional fundraising goals of A Better Balance. The primary role of this position is to help manage and expand A Better Balance’s active portfolio of institutional donors, including private, corporate, and family foundations, law firms, and other institutional supporters. This position will contribute to the organization’s mission by writing proposals and request letters, reports to donors and funders on the use of their funds, and other select fundraising support materials. The Grants Manager will also be responsible for maintaining the proposal and report calendar and supporting funder research. This position requires exceptional writing and project management skills, ability to learn quickly on the job, and strong interpersonal skills for working with funders and legal staff. The candidate should possess the ability to manage projects independently, set priorities, and take initiative as well as work as part of a cohesive development team. This position reports to the Director of Development.
A Better Balance’s mission is to promote equality and choices for men and women at all income levels so they can care for their families without sacrificing their economic security. Since its founding in 2006, A Better Balance has grown from a handful of individuals to a $2 million budget and 13-person organization with offices in New York and Nashville. During that time, the organization has fought for and won victories in improved paid leave, equal pay, pregnancy and caregiver protection, breastfeeding accommodations, LGBTQ policy protection, and other issues. (Additional information about A Better Balance’s work is available at www.abetterbalance.org.)
- Timely submission of well researched and well written grant applications, including writing, editing, proofing and preparing supporting documentation. Drafting solicitation and stewardship letters and materials for major institutional donors, law firms, organizations, etc.
- Manage, monitor, and ensure tracking of all ABB grants and prospective grants. Responsible for ensuring compliance with all current grant requirements, including all reporting requirements, and for putting together all material needed for new grant applications such as narratives, budgets and supporting materials. Ensure completion by specified deadlines of all required reports and applications. Provide staff and Board members with sufficient time to provide needed materials for reports and applications.
- Manage prospect research to support ABB’s wide array of funding needs and develop creative funder outreach strategies. Provide guidance on best ways to market and approach donors and funders.
- Assist in institutional funder cultivation and stewardship, including the scheduling of meetings, preparation of compelling correspondence (briefings, presentations, etc.), and active participation in donor appreciation activities, site visits, and events.
- Work with the Director of Development and Director of Communications on other public communications as needed including writing communications/cultivation materials for the annual fundraising event, major donor house parties, smaller events, and other diverse audiences.
- Maintain an accurate grants calendar, tracking grant deliverables and timelines.
- Work in conjunction with development stuff to ensure that institutional gifts and activities are properly entered into our Network for Good database.
- Participate in staff meetings and contribute to the overall growth and learning of the organization.
- Work on other special projects as time allows and as assigned by the Director of Development.
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of grant writing and development experience
- Successful track record in grant research, writing and reporting
- Strong research skills, preferably with funders, using tools such as the Foundation Center Directory
- Efficient and compelling writer who can synthesize and learn information quickly
- Ability to manage multiple demands; results oriented, works quickly and accurately
- Works well with people, and engenders trust and confidence from colleagues
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including experience writing proposals, concept papers, reports, donor cultivation materials
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Able to work independently and as a team member – “can do!” attitude
- Enthusiastic commitment to the goals and values of the organization
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Formatting and grammar nerds preferred!
FULL TIME EQUIVALENT
Full time (40 hours per week)
A Better Balance has an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and life insurance; flexible spending account; paid vacation, sick and personal time. We are committed to “walking our talk” and encourage a health work/life balance for all employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be considered immediately. Please direct all inquiries to Sohini Das, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references electronically. In the subject line of the email, please state "Grants Manager". Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
A Better Balance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.