Junior Professional Officer for Systems Engineering - Rome, Italy
- Job posted by World Food Programme
Via Cesare Giulio Viola
ONLY NATIONALS OF FINLAND ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Junior Professional Officer, at the P2 level, for Systems Engineering with a thematic focus on digital systems development, integration, rollout and field support, based in the Market Access Programme Unit of the Policy and Programme Division of WFP Rome Headquarters, Italy.
CONTEXT AND BACKGROUND
As one of the global leaders in Cash-Based Transfers (CBT), in 2016 WFP delivered the largest portion of all of the cash-based transfer humanitarian assistance globally (a total of US$880 million); and scaled-up further in 2017 by delivering an estimated US$1.4 billion to beneficiaries.
To deliver CBT assistance, WFP works through partnerships with more than 70 commercial Financial Service Providers (FSPs) including banks, micro-finance institutions, mobile money operators and money transfer agents, in addition to using WFP’s own delivery platform SCOPE. Due to the magnitude of WFP’s CBT transfers, and its reliance on partnerships with external service providers for transferring funds, it is a priority for the Organization to ensure the robustness and inter-operability of its digital systems in order to ensure accountability for funds as well as to better inform programme design through digital analysis of data emanating from CBT operations.
The overarching objective of WFP’s digital systems development is to deliver better and more accountable CBT assistance while also supporting partners (including governments) to build or optimize their own systems to ensure that long-term sustainable support and social protection is available for WFP’s beneficiaries. WFP intends to “digitally know” its beneficiaries and their needs and preferences and the impact of projects and operations over time on families and local sectors (i.e. financial, markets, etc.). This knowledge will be possible only with a safe, seamless, perpetual flow of data and information between all departments, divisions, units, and teams across WFP and its partners. It will need to be enabled by the latest proven technologies, systems, and processes to gather, organize, share, analyze, and transform data into knowledge and evidence for responsible and informed programmatic decision making.
WFP is seeking the support of a JPO with skills in Computer Systems Engineering to help design, integrate and optimize aspects of WFP’s corporate digital systems used for digital transfer, payment cycle reconciliation and comprehensive data analysis. Following the systems development phase, the JPO will be involved in coordinating and supporting the rollout of new digital systems in WFP operations in the field worldwide.
- Title of Post: Systems Engineering Officer (JPO)
- Grade: P2
- Supervisor: Senior Policy and Programme Officer
- Unit: Market Access Programme Unit
- Country: Italy
- Duty Station: Rome (with field missions)
- Duration of assignment: Two years
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the more senior Policy and Programme Officer, the JPO will perform the following duties:
- Identifying, evaluating and prioritising WFP’s digital systems requirements of its various clients/users and workstreams;
- Drafting designs of digital systems architecture based on the identified requirements;
- Detailing the technical requirements for digital systems development and integration;
- Working closely with WFP’s subject matter experts (field/operations staff) and technical systems developers to help drive the development and integration of digital systems;
- Supporting and troubleshooting the development and piloting of WFP digital systems in HQ and in WFP operations;
- Liaising with WFP Regional Bureaux and Country Offices to coordinate the development, piloting and rollout of WFP digital systems;
- Supporting the rollout of emerging digital systems and ensuring coherence with existing country systems and programme objectives;
- Supporting the training of clients/users of emerging digital systems;
- Assist in drafting guidance manuals and support tools for clients/users of digital systems;
- Liaising with colleagues from other functional units in WFP Rome to integrate systems modules and functions with existing corporate systems;
- Providing field support by receiving and acting on feedback from clients/users of WFP digital systems during pilots or rollout of systems;
- Conducting on-going reasearch and exploration of relevant and available digital systems and products utilized or offered in private sectors;
- Reviewing and ensuring compliance with industry standards related to financial sectors, data security and WFP’s policies for beneficiary privacy and protection;
- Deploy on mission as required to support, troubleshoot and oversee the piloting or rollout of digital systems;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Defining WFP’s technical requirements for corporate digital systems related to CBT transfer management, payment cycle reconciliation and analysis;
- Designing corporate systems architecture and integration of corporate digital systems;
- Drafting technical specifications for digital systems development and integration;
- Overseeing digital systems development, integration and testing;
- Supporting the planning and facilitating of pilots of emerging digital systems;
- Training clients/users of digital systems, including development of training materials;
- Supporting the rollout of corporate digital systems in WFP operations globally.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced University Degree, or University degree with experience and training/courses, in Computer Systems Engineering or a related subject;
- Three years of post-graduate job related experience in systems engineering, networking, troubleshooting, installing, configuring or developing;
- Proficiency in computer systems software used for networking and scripting;
- Proficiency in both oral and written English is a must.
To perform the wide range of tasks and excel in this position, the ideal candidate would also possess:
- Some level of exposure to the international arena either by direct work for an international institution/organization; or, if working for a national entity, by way of interacting with international stakeholders;
- Good working knowledge of another official UN language (i.e Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian);
- As WFP’s international professionals are required to serve in different duty stations around the world during the course of their career (including in hardship duty stations), readiness to be mobile would maximise opportunities for long-term retention into the Programme;
- Behavioural competencies as follows: Action Management, Client Orientation, Cognitive Capacity, Innovation, Partnering and Teamwork.
The JPO will be working within a small team focusing on the development and integration of CBT digital systems. The supervisor will provide clear guidance, define project priorities and share existing experience and materials which will serve as basis for the development of products. The JPO will work alongside other team members with whom he/she will share responsibilities and to whom he/she can refer if guidance or institutional experience/memory is needed.
Besides regular on-the-job training and coaching, the JPO will be able to receive training on WFPs approach to Cash-Based Transfers through the inter-function e-learning course (comprising 6 training modules). The JPO will be exposed to detailed descriptions of CBT processes and business requirements emanating from field operations, and will have the opportunity to visit WFP country offices to view operations, as may be required. The JPO will have the opportunity to have an inside look at WFP’s corporate digital systems architecture, and will gain experience from presenting, sharing knowledge and interacting with a variety of WFP and partner staff from different contexts and cultural backgrounds.
At the end of the assignment, the JPO should have gained:
- A clear understanding of WFP’s CBT delivery cycle, including standard operating procedures and digital systems requirements;
- A working knowledge of WFP’s individual corporate digital systems used for financial accounting, beneficiary management, transfer management and reporting and analysis;
- An overview of WFP’s complete digital systems architecture and digital ecosystem;
- A deep understanding of the assistance delivery platforms currently supported by the humanitarian sector, as well as private sectors (banks and mobile money);
- Knowledge and experience in managing digital project data and designing and integrating digital systems;
- Exposure to WFP’s new and innovative projects, such as BlockChain-based transfer platforms and use of biometrics for beneficiary identity verification;
- Experience in dealing with diverse audiences, ranging from WFP field practitioners, IT developers and HQ policy staff, resulting in capacity to coordinate across different actors to reach a common objective;
- General understanding of WFP’s overall mandate, objectives, operations and activities.
PLEASE NOTE: TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST BE A NATIONAL OF FINLAND OF MAX 32 YEARS OF AGE AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION:
April 8, 2018
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply follow the link: