About the Obama Foundation
Founded in January 2014, the Obama Foundation is a living, working center for citizenship in the 21st century aimed at identifying, training, and connecting the next generation of leaders and engaged citizens. The Foundation is developing the Obama Presidential Center on the South Side of Chicago to serve as headquarters for the projects it will undertake across the city, the nation, and around the world.
As President Obama said in his farewell address, "I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change — but in yours.” That concept is one the Obamas championed from the beginning, and it is now a cornerstone of the Obama Foundation’s efforts to support and develop the next generation of active citizens and emerging young leaders at home and around the world.
Real change—big change—takes many years, and requires each generation to believe that its participation matters and embrace the obligations and opportunities that come with the most important office in a democracy: that of Citizen. Together, we have made extraordinary progress. Because there is more to do, this work lives on in the Obama Foundation.
For more information on the Obama Foundation, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Role
As a member of the Education team, the Online Learning Associate will develop a vision for online learning experiences that promotes core learning objectives, leverages human centered design principles and adheres to UI/UX best practices. This person will design a suite of high-quality online learning content and facilitate meaningful online learning experiences for a diverse array of learners, and also make meaningful contributions to the care and development of the Foundation’s online learning infrastructure. The Online Learning Associate will report to the Online Program Manager.
The Online Learning Associate will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- 2018 Online Learning
- Within three months of hire, develop a plan and timeline for facilitating 2018 online learning content to 300 participants in three geographies
- Within three months of hire, design and facilitate in-person trainings that set participants up for success in achieving online learning goals
- Within three months of hire, evaluate the effectiveness of 2018 online learning content and a path forward to modify and improve online learning content in 2019
- Informal Online Learning
- Within six months of hire, collaborate with internal teams to develop and release at least four informal learning experiences
- Within nine months of hire, create an informed second version of two informal learning experiences that leverage lessons learned from the first deployment
- Formal Online Learning
- Within three months of hire, design one online learning journey that contains existing online learning content on relevant topic(s)
- Within six months of hire, lead two pilot cohorts through the online learning journey in an effort to better understand the online learning habits of our core audience
- Within nine months of hire, collaborate with internal teams to design and/or adopt a Learning Management System
- Within 12 months of hire, work with external content experts and collaborate with internal teams to create an original online learning journey
The ultimate aim of the Online Learning Associate is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the Online Learning Associate will spend their time in the following ways:
- Instructional Design
- Engaging with externally produced learning content related to civic education
- Recommending formats for new online learning content based on learning objectives, learner profiles, and time & activities required to complete learning journey
- Backwards planning the development of online learning content, including sound methods to track progress and assess objective mastery
- Working with content experts and emerging civic leaders to produce instructional collateral
- Collaborate with digital team on the production of online learning materials (including video, web content, social media, etc) to train a broad online audience and expand our reach
- Collaborating with data science team to track learner engagement and progress toward online learning objectives
- Project Management
- Collaborate closely with the Digital Team and external vendors to produce video content and other digital learning collateral
- Preparing and testing all learning content for deployment on multiple platforms
- Teaching Online
- Facilitating synchronous online instruction
- Reviewing learner progress and conducting just-in-time interventions on a case-by-case basis
- Assist and collaborate with other members of the Education team to:
- Design learning journeys, create partnerships and support enrolled students as they strive toward objective mastery
- Recruit and support new learners
- Establish and leverage unique partnerships between thought leaders, subject-matter experts and community-based organizations
- Bachelor's degree in instructional design, journalism or a related field; Master's degree is a plus
- At least 3-5 years experience designing online instruction for adult learners
- A keen understanding of instructional pedagogy and a high acumen for teaching adults in both online and in-person environments
- An understanding of the ed-tech space, including digital learning tools, opportunities & constraints
- The ability to analyze learning analytics and measure digital learning outcomes
- A demonstrable track record of leveraging data to drive instructional design choices
- Experience in producing instructional videos and game design theory
- Ability to deliver results on time and on budget in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment
- Acumen for asking the right questions – drives to understand needs and develops solutions appropriate to those needs
- A track record to quickly and proficiently understanding and absorbing new information
- Exceptional communicator, written and verbal
- Strong track record of telling a story using both quantitative and qualitative information
- Skilled at using presentation software (e.g. Google Slides, Keynote) to convey a story in a concise yet impactful way
Please submit the application below no later than August 19, 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Minimum Education Required