Father Bill’s & MainSpring (FBMS) is committed to ending and preventing homelessness in Southern Massachusetts with programs that provide emergency and permanent housing and help people obtain skills, jobs, housing, and services. We help people who are struggling with homelessness or are at risk of homelessness to achieve self-sufficiency. We offer a generous benefits package and a comprehensive orientation and training program. Visit https://helpfbms.org to learn more.
Senior Programs Director
The newly created Senior Programs Director position is an amazing opportunity for a strong leader who is excited to make a significant contribution to a growing organization serving an at- risk population. You will oversee all operations and services provided in FBMS’ emergency and permanent housing programs across Southern Massachusetts, spanning over 40 communities. You will lead the response to homelessness toward an emphasis on diversion, rapid re-housing and progressive engagement strategy, and ensure continued fidelity with a Housing First, low threshold philosophy. The Senior Programs Director reports to the Chief Operating Officer, directly supervises a team of 5 Directors, and is responsible for oversight of over 150 employees (direct care and admin/support staff), all administration, compliance, and operational activities for more than 30 public grants and contracts, as well as several private foundation grants, and the administration of temporary and permanent rental assistance from a variety of funding sources.
FBMS is a growing and innovative leader in the areas of housing and homelessness in SE Mass and has an excellent reputation and strong relationships with many public funders and nonprofit partners. It also has a longstanding commitment to program and strategic planning, and to evaluation of its performance outcomes and trends. The Senior Programs Director will continue to strengthen, develop and expand on this work and must have an understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and other related issues.
- Ensure all programs and services are delivered within a Housing First framework, provide support to programs to monitor fidelity, and make improvements where indicated;
- Ensure effective management of all FBMS programs and maintain appropriate internal controls and procedures;
- Work with management team to provide adequate staffing and support to all facilities requiring 24/7 operation, including four congregate shelter sites and various housing projects in the community, as well as food services;
- In partnership with Program Development/Compliance department, oversee monitoring and evaluation, ensure accurate and timely reporting so that programs are meeting goals and objectives while maintaining compliance with all State and federal contracts. Interface with funders, identifying and resolving any concerns;
- Participate in strategic planning and program development as it relates to services and operations and in the development and/or revision of agency and program specific policies and protocols, as well as assist with and lead the implementation of new and/or revised policies and protocols related to participants and staff;
- Work with program management team to review progress reports and respond to programmatic and technical challenges experienced;
- Assess, with managers and Human Resources, situations related to staff, participants, and operations, making appropriate decisions, referrals and recommendations when needed;
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of services and programs offered in the emergency shelters, housing and the community, work with appropriate personnel to increase or modify services as needed. Maintain familiarity with state and federally funded programming and the administration of a variety of rental assistance programs;
- Bring strategic, visionary and collaborative thinking to the programs and operations of the organization and implement initiatives to advance FBMS’ mission, goals and objectives;
- Develop and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders (FBMS departments, community leaders, funders, etc,), maintain strong community reputation of the organization, and represent FBMS in the community at various events and meetings;
- Facilitate collaboration on cross-departmental challenges and opportunities, including Property Management and Program Development, as well as Finance and Fundraising teams;
- Be prepared to step into operational situations as needed and/or support the management team in resolving crises and other guest and staff-related issues;
- Develop regular reports on progress, budgets and expenditures as it relates to various departmental activities, including leased housing and contract expenditures;
- Monitor fund balances of assigned programs and related financial activity for the purpose of ensuring that expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed;
- In partnership with the Finance team, ensure the organization is operated on a sound fiscal basis. Participate in the annual budgeting process and ensure programs, projects and operations are administered and managed in accordance with budgetary guidelines and constraints
- The Senior Programs Director must have the strategic vision and ability to teach, mentor, and develop talent and leadership within the organization. The ideal candidate will understand (and be a catalyst for) change management, have the capacity to learn regulations, be data and compliance driven, and be able to establish and maintain strong and collaborative working relationships and influence multiple stakeholders. Candidates must have passion and enthusiasm for the FBMS mission, empathy for those dealing with homelessness and related issues, and the desire to understand and learn more about the complexity and challenges of the population FBMS serves.
- We seek candidates with:
- 5-8 years of increasing leadership responsibility within a nonprofit and 5+ years of prior supervisory experience;
- Master’s Degree in human service-related field preferred;
- Superb critical thinking and decision-making abilities;
- Excellent program, project and relationship management skills;
- Outstanding organization, planning, delegation, and communication skills;
- Capacity to manage multi-disciplinary teams and diverse populations and programming;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and foster teamwork across departments and effectively with outside partners;
- Analytical, creative, tactical and strategic thinking and problem solving skills;
- Comfort working with data, budgets and tracking financial outcomes proactively;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software;
- Valid MA driver’s license in good standing and access to use of a vehicle to travel locally throughout the South Shore area
- Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. *Please note “Senior Programs Director” in the subject line of the email.*
- Father Bill’s & MainSpring is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and indicate in subject line of email position you are applying for.