Sr. HVAC Mechanical Systems Technician
Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
Monitor and implement corrective actions for the building mechanical systems. Actively diagnose problems and anomalies in order to document issues, suggest and implement corrective action. Responsible for preventative maintenance programs and other routine or emergency maintenance operations as assigned by Mechanical Systems Supervisor, Manager of Facilities Maintenance or the Facilities Office. Acts as a resource for other technicians and staff so that they can become more knowledgeable and proficient in the building mechanical systems and their operation.
- 750,000 square feet of museum property, consisting of 7 multi-purpose buildings including a 5 level parking garage, Planetarium, Omni Theater, two theaters and four animal living areas.
- Occasionally oversees up to 4 people.
- Occasionally directs and supervises several contractors.
- Regularly works on several projects simultaneously.
- Available for Emergencies 24x7 x 365
- Maintaining 50+ Air handling Units, 1,100 tons of cooling, Steam boilers (340 therms annually), 200+ steam traps, 100+ pumps and a Building Management System with 1,000+ points
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, Sunday-Thursday 8:00am-4:00pm. Available for Emergencies 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and 365 days/year.
- Post high school course work, technical degree, associate's degree or business certificate preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of experience maintaining building mechanical systems, and plumbing systems, chilled water systems, steam heating systems and other related equipment in an educational, institutional, industrial or similar setting.
- Advanced diagnostic and repair skills for mechanical systems (pumps, seals, actuators, etc.), DDC and pneumatic controls, refrigeration, and extensive knowledge of HVAC systems.
- An advanced understanding of building and equipment schematics and diagrams.
- Technical experience and working knowledge with building management systems.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, non-exempt (hourly) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 15 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5-10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.
See job description.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.