Details: Hourly rate based on qualifications.
About the Organization
The Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation is a 501(c) (3) private philanthropic foundation located in Media, PA, fulfilling the charitable intentions set forth by the late Dietrich W. Botstiber: to provide scholarships to talented students of good moral character in the fields of science, technology, and commerce; to promote an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria; and to support programs that prevent cruelty to animals and human beings.
About the Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (BIAAS)
BIAAS was founded in 2008 by the Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation to “promote an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria,” including the lands of the historical Habsburg empire. The Institute accomplishes this goal by awarding grants and fellowships, organizing lectures and conferences, and publishing the Journal of Austrian-American History. BIAAS strives to be a leader in the field of Austrian-American studies through its grants and fellowship programs, events, digital initiatives, and publications. BIAAS works to expand the audience for Austrian-American studies among scholars and the broader public. More information is available at www.botstiber.org.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Communications Officer will develop, implement and evaluate BIAAS’ communication plans to further its mission and strategic goals. The communication officer will work closely with internal and external content developers, thematic experts and scholars, designing and implementing sustainable dissemination, communication and networking strategies. Successful candidates will possess excellent communication and organization skills as well as the ability to insightfully monitor the Institute’s landscape.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The following list of job duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive and is meant to present a general outline of the position. With support and guidance for the Institute’s Associate and Managing Directors the Communication Officer shall:
• Develop, implement, and evaluate annual communications plans that includes the promotion of research done by BIAAS grant and fellowship recipients;
• Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to the development and/or strengthening of an online community engaged in Austrian-American history (Decide who, where, and when to disseminate);
• In cooperation with content developers, manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, blog series, podcasts and the Institutes’ website;
• Coordinate webpage maintenance, ensuring new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events, etc.) is posted regularly; and
• Coordinate the institute’s social media presence (including Facebook and Twitter) to further the Institute’s strategic plan
· Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
· Highly collaborative style with excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
· Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
· Ability to work in a small office environment
· Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, self-motivation, and shared Foundation values
· Bachelor’s degree required, preferable in communications related field
· Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
· Experience working with WordPress and desktop publishing
· Qualities of dedication, integrity, teamwork, flexibility, and accountability
· Willingness to learn new skills and systems as needed by the organization
· Position requires sitting at a desk, mobility around office, and occasionally moving supplies and office
equipment, when necessary
· Experience developing and/or maintaining databases
· Experience creating digital libraries and/or archives
· Experience working with Adobe Suite
· Experience copyediting
· Experience obtaining image permissions
· German language skills
This is a flexible part-time position, averaging 15+ hours a week dependent upon work load. Working days are typically two-four days a week between Monday and Thursday, with Fridays as an exception. Occasional travel to BIAAS events and meetings will be required.
Two weeks paid time-off per calendar year, which is prorated based on start date. Flexible schedule and hours.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
For consideration please send cover letter and resume to Jason Naum, Managing Director, BIAAS, at email@example.com.
Include “BIAAS Communication Officer” in your email subject line.