Full Time Temporary
District of Columbia
Mission First Housing Development Corporation (MFHDC), a member of Mission First Housing Group, is a Washington, DC - based non-profit developer of affordable housing and other real estate projects.
MFHDC is seeking a Community Life Program Manager for its new project.
This position is temporary with a possibility to role into a permanent position.
The Grandfamilies Community Life Program Manager position has the responsibility for the initial development of the Community Life Programming for the Grandfamilies Component of Plaza West. Plaza West is a 223-unit affordable housing complex under construction at 1035 4th Street NW and 307 K Street NW in the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood of the District of Columbia. Of the 223 units, there are 50 units set aside for grandparent raising grandchildren where the parent is not present, or “grandfamilies”.
Once the construction of Plaza West is complete (estimated for June 2018), the Manager will transition to oversight of the day-to-day administration and operations of Community Life Program.
The Program Manager is responsible for ensuring that the property and programming supports the healthy development of the grandfamily residents. This position requires an energetic, self-motivated, creative individual with experience in residential life programs and with diverse family structures. Evening and weekend work is required.
Program Development (prior to building opening)
- Plan and implement community life programs for the youth and senior residents of the Plaza West community
- Network with local service providers to identify programs and other resources for grandfamilies, including:
- Nonprofit agencies
- District agencies
- Local schools
- Help identify grants, donations and partnerships within the community
- Advocate and broker resources for residents, including identifying any compliance or certification requirements for services by third parties
- Meet with prospective grandfamily residents regarding their need for supportive services
- Develop framework for Resident and Youth Councils
- Develop volunteer and in-kind programming initiatives
Program Operations (once building is open)
- Serve as the contact person with community based organizations providing on site community life programming
- Provide guidance to the Resident and Youth Councils
- Conduct program outreach and assist supervisor with new strategies for resident retention and engagement.
- Create monthly calendar of events, and produce outreach flyers and newsletters.
- Oversee volunteer staff
- Conduct mediation/conflict resolution as needed with residents and managers.
- Maintain resident social service files
- Provide on-going case management to identify supportive service needs of grandparents and their grandchildren
- Meet regularly with the Property Manager to stay abreast of resident service needs and to coordinate community life activities
- Coordinate with maintenance staff to quickly address repairs and upkeep of community rooms
- Monitor the use of community rooms, including fitness center and library
- Address concerns promptly and effectively related to community life programs
- Follow up possible case management concerns observed through daily interactions with residents and discussions with the program coordinator
Skills Required: Excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills; strong organizational, analytical and problem resolution skills. Ability to work independently and as a team; ability to multi-task. Computer literate.
Education and Experience: degree in social work, human development or a related field;
Experience working with low income families; Ability to multi-task, plan and implement enrichment activities; Familiarity with DC’s social service providers and benefit programs;
Compassion for the challenges faced by grandfamilies. Outstanding capacity to build strong positive relationships with children, youth, and seniors.
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance (Company Paid),
- 403B (Company Paid)
- Life Insurance (Company Paid)
- Short and long term disability (Company Paid)
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide cover letter along with resume.