1101 14th St. NW
Washington D.C., 20005
District of Columbia
Position : Executive/Administrative Assistant
Location : Washington, DC
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Executive/Administrative Assistant position coordinates and performs professional and confidential project functions and assists the Chief Executive Officer. Oversees and manages the flow and exchange of information, streamlines interactions with key constituents, and facilitates initiatives on behalf of the CEO. Work requires a high level of discretion and often requires the use and handling of confidential or otherwise sensitive information in a professional manner. The position works with staff at all levels of the organization as well as board members, donors and others; he/she is responsible for the overall coordination of all administrative responsibilities at the DC office as well.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Executive Assistant Responsibilities
- Track and help prioritize activities within RI that require CEO’s attention
- Handle a complex calendar and many scheduling demands
- Coordinate logistics for all internal and external meetings supported by the Executive Office
- Schedule the CEO’s complex domestic and international travel arrangements
- Prepare all expense reports for the CEO in adherence with internal policies and deadlines
- Maintain Executive Office files
- Represent the Executive Office to internal and external audiences by providing desired information and handling routine inquiries directly
- Regularly coordinate the agenda, meeting minutes, and action steps for meetings of the Leadership Team, Senior Management Team, Board and Board Committees, and other occasional intra-office meetings, ensuring that the agenda and meeting materials are circulated in a timely manner and filed appropriately
- Prepare for and brief CEO prior to events and meetings regarding important developments and follow-up on resulting action items
- Maintain Board rosters, minutes, resolutions, policies, and corporate documents
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned. Sort and prioritize all mail, email, voicemail and intra-office communication addressed to the CEO and ensure that all business is promptly and reliably handled or referred to the appropriate staff person
- Support CEO’s relationships with key collaborators and donors
- Craft and deliver both written and verbal presentations as required. Must be able to communicate with tact, judgment, empathy and energy
- Prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, forms, proposals, concept papers, etc. using prescribed formats
- Supervise interns, if relevant
Administrative Assistant Responsibilities
- Lead office administrative tasks such as ordering office supplies and assigning desk space as needed
- Facilitate the processing of bank letters for the opening/closing of bank accounts in RI countries of operation
- Support the establishment and continuing status of RI’s legal registration in various jurisdictions, including the United States, United Kingdom, and countries of operation
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a similar position
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interfacing skills and the ability to interact with domestic and international management and staff, donors, and board members
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including business, social science, or administration
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage work under tight deadlines
- Efficient self-starter
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel
- Familiarity with the nonprofit environment a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three supervisory references with contact information (name of person , where you worked with the reference, email, telephone, where the reference is geographically located.
RELIEF INTERNATIONAL DOES NOT WORK WITH EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES AND DOES NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED RESUMES FROM EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES FOR ANY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three supervisory references with contact information (name of person , where you worked with the reference, email, telephone, where the reference is geographically located to: