1818 Market Street
Reporting to the Executive Director, ULI Philadelphia seeks an energetic, organized, and entrepreneurial Associate to serve as an integral member of the team responsible for engaging local volunteer members, managing committees and programs, and working with partners to advance the mission of ULI and deliver value to the membership in the Philadelphia region. The Associate will work closely with the four-person team and member leadership to execute the organization’s Strategic Plan by maintaining administrative and logistical operations of the district council, serving as the team lead for sponsorships and major events, including the development of sponsorship, and creatively contributing to an evolving and growing organization.
The Associate serves as a professional liaison among the district council, ULI headquarters, and Philadelphia (and surrounding region spanning three states) real estate, planning, and development professionals. The Associate will be responsible for building strong relationships with members and partners; providing project management and support various member committees; providing support for the overall operations of the district council; serving as the team lead for events management for signature programs, including the Annual Real Estate Forecast and Awards for Excellence; and supporting current and future strategic initiatives.
The ideal candidate must be proactive and demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, strong organizational and project management skills, an ability to manage multiple external stakeholders, excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and general knowledge of or interest in the planning, land use, and real estate sector.
This is a full-time exempt position located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Events & Programs:
· Coordinates the planning and logistics for major events and programs, serving as the team’s lead on maintaining process, securing continuing education credits, information and points of contact for overall event logistics (team members are all responsible for managing specific events), and managing two to four ULI signature annual events in coordination with the relevant member council and programs committee.
- Serves as the team lead for event protocol, database of venues, and relationships with key vendors for general information to be maintained. Is responsible for venue logistics for major programs, including advance coordination and contract, room layout and setup, catering/audiovisual, arrange accommodations as needed, obtain required insurance riders, and facilitate content development.
· Assists in marketing programs and events to sponsors and partners.
· Facilitates content development with member leadership and oversees preparations and development of programs, relationships with speakers and sponsors and connections to national programmatic and content themes, and research where applicable.
- Handles post-event activities including event-specific invoices and reconciliation; thank-you letters; communications content, etc.
General District Council Operations & Management:
· Develops and manages member relationships, supporting opportunities for members to engage more deeply with the district council through programming and committees.
· Supports the Executive Director in all activities related to sponsorship, including participating in the development and analysis of sponsorship structure, creating marketing collateral, executing the sponsorship campaign, and managing invoicing, follow-up, and sponsor benefits.
· Serves as the team lead in supporting the district council budget development and tracking, including monthly financial review and analysis as determined.
· All team members are responsible for managing individual events and programs from content and budget development to execution as well as for understanding and managing administrative aspects of committee management, such as interacting with members and overseeing meetings.
· All team members are responsible for learning and using ULI IT database and systems for event setup, management, invoicing, financial review, and member management.
· Manages district council office operations, including, but not limited to: supplies and equipment, files, databases, records, calendars, inventories, and other district council resources, as needed.
· Develops online platform opportunities to support the district council’s initiatives and identify opportunities to leverage partnerships to achieve mission and deepen program work. Contributes ideas to the execution of the overall Strategic Plan.
- Manages member committees or initiatives and supports relevant programs and events related to portfolio. The Associate will be responsible for the Programs Committee, Signature Events Committee, working with the Executive Director to oversee the Management, Governance, and Sponsorship Committees and Advisory Board; other committees may be added depending on fit. This includes scheduling meetings, proactively developing agendas and background materials, and coordinating with speakers.
· Serves as the initial point of contact for the Philadelphia District Council, including fielding and responding to routine member and prospect inquiries through the Leadership Navigator (online interest portal) and email general account.
· Supports overall membership development efforts, including working with ULI’s customer service department to update member information.
Maintains daily relationship with and reports to the ULI Philadelphia Executive Director; works directly with the Executive Director and team, as well as with staff at ULI headquarters; and disseminates information to applicable parties and departments, including membership, meeting production, finance, and customer service teams.
On a daily basis, works with ULI members serving in key leadership positions, member firms, sponsors, prospects, vendors, collaborative partner organizations, and consultants.
- Bachelor’s degree and one to four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in event planning, administration or management, nonprofit development/ sponsorship, or programming preferred; experience recruiting, working with and managing volunteers desired.
- Demonstrated polished and professional oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, including the ability to initiate tasks and assume responsibility for them, to work with minimal oversight in a high-visibility position, to prioritize tasks, and handle multiple projects concurrently and with responsible follow-through and attention to detail.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to work with senior executives in the private and public sectors in a sophisticated, respectful, and simultaneously collegial manner.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, and complete tasks on time, with responsible follow-through.
- Proven project and office management skills, including the ability to creatively solve problems and work with teams.
- Ability to provide courteous customer service and maintain professional relationships with coworkers in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Adobe products; knowledge of and competency with a graphics, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, or communications software a plus.
- Familiarity and proficiency with web-based tools, such as content management systems or internet-based tools for updating and publishing content to dynamic websites.
- Active interest in and general knowledge of real estate, land use, development, or planning and commitment to the ULI mission.
- Use of personal vehicle may be needed for local travel.
- Experience in nonprofit administration, events management, budgeting, or sponsorship/business development desired.
- The position necessitates occasional travel through the region (Philadelphia metro area, central Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley, Delaware, southern New Jersey) and one or two national travel opportunities each year outside this region. Candidate should have the ability to work a flexible schedule since events range from early mornings to evenings.
Minimum Education Required