The SSEC is an organization of the Smithsonian Institution dedicated to transforming K-12 Education Through Science™ in collaboration with communities across the globe. To achieve its mission, SSEC has four goals: (1) promote authentic, inquiry-based, integrated K-12 science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) teaching and learning; (2) ensure diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI) in K-12 STEM education; (3) advance STEM education for sustainable development (STEM4SD); and (4) translate the research and collections of the Smithsonian into meaningful tools and convenings for K-12 teachers and students. SSEC achieves its goals by: (a) building awareness for science education among school leaders; (b) promoting Leadership and Assistance for Science Education Reform (LASER); (c) supporting the professional growth of K-12 teachers and school leaders; (d) developing exemplary K-12 curriculum materials and digital resources (including the comprehensive research-based science curriculum programs: Smithsonian Science for the Classroom; Science and Technology Concepts for Middle School (STCMS); and Smithsonian Science for Global Goals); and (d) engaging in research. At the heart of SSEC’s work is the idea that all youth—regardless of gender, sexual orientation, geography, race, native language, ability, or socio-economic status—should be given the opportunities to learn about the socio-scientific issues that challenge us. The Smithsonian, through the Smithsonian Science Education Center, plays an active role in sparking students' and teachers' interest in STEM to ensure scientific literacy and a sustainable planet.
For additional information about the SSEC visit www.ssec.si.edu.
We are currently seeking a Publishing Assistant. This person will report to the Division Director of Curriculum, Digital Media and Communications and will provide administrative assistance to the Curriculum, Digital Media, and Communications Division, which include writers, editors, or subject-matter specialists. This position will be primarily responsible for assisting with the planning, design, production, and editing of SSEC science education curriculum and other print and digital material.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a Trust Appointment, not a Federal position. Appointment background investigation is required.
· Assists with preparing progress reports and portions of reports, including data summaries and data visualizations for reports and presentations.
· Supports the team in preparing files and digital resources for production.
· Edits documents for correctness of grammar, spelling, style, internal consistency, and clarity.
· Responds to or properly redirect inquiries received through correspondence, email or website. Makes updates to SSEC web site as requested.
· Initiates the processing of statements of work, purchase orders for contractors and supplies, and contractor invoices.
· Prepares & coordinates travel, including reviewing travel requests for accuracy and proper format, making transportation and hotel reservations, and preparing travel documents.
· Keeps updated on Smithsonian travel regulations in order to carry out responsibilities. Tracks department expenses to ensure projects stay within budget, and participates in budget meetings and trainings to stay current on SSEC procedures. Prepares expense reports.
· Orders and maintains inventory of office supplies, organizes and maintains calendars and arranges meetings.
· Participates in all Curriculum, Digital Media and Communications Division department meetings.
· Organizes and coordinates information across teams, establishes and maintains digital filing system, records, and statistics for the Division. Coordinates department shipments – incoming and outgoing.
· Bachelor’s degree or one year of related experience in a communication or education environment required
· Passion for science education
· Strong writing, editing and verbal communication skills required
· Previous experience in a publishing environment preferred
· Skills in managing detailed budgets and expense tracking preferred
· Independent problem solver
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
· Advanced skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Great sense of humor
The SSEC is an organization of the Smithsonian Institution dedicated to transforming K-12 Education Through Science™ in collaboration with communities across the globe. To achieve its mission, SSEC has four goals: (1) promote authentic…