1065 Sutter Street
Title: Major Gift Officer
Department: Development Department
Reports To: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Full-time (40/hrs) Exempt
Directly Leads: N/A
Coordinates With: Executive Director, Director of Development, Development Manager, Marketing Manager, Events Manager, Volunteer Manager.
Budgetary Responsibility: The Major Gift Officer position is directly responsible for raising $300,000 of our development team’s 3.8 million dollar annual budget through cultivating Individuals, foundations, corporations and community partners.
Since 1971, Raphael House has been at the forefront of providing homeless and low-income families in the San Francisco Bay Area the personalized family-centered solutions they need to build brighter futures. Raphael House is a 100% privately funded and community-supported organization. Our success rate is unmatched: more than 85% of all Raphael House families go on to achieve long-term housing and financial stability.
Raphael House is dedicated to ending homelessness. We tailor prescriptive services for each family to provide them with the necessary wellness support, education and skills to assist them in obtaining housing, employment and self-sufficiency. The families at Raphael House have experienced a multitude of traumas, often including the loss and separation from loved ones, their homes and communities. As a result of the difficult experiences they have endured, families may develop challenges with interpersonal relationships and safe parenting. Children may exhibit challenging behaviors and difficulty expressing emotions in age appropriate and healthy ways. Raphael House understands these issues and aims to provide opportunities for healing through stability, compassion, and client empowerment.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Major Gift Officer works in partnership with the Development Director (and closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors) to lead individual major donor giving activities for the agency. This position leads major giving strategy and cultivation efforts. This position comes with the requirement that within their first year of employment, they are able to raise $300,000; with the expectation that this amount is to grow year-to-year as donor cultivation matures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1.) Individual Giving Leadership
- With the Director of Development, plan, develop and execute strategies to cultivate and steward individual donors with a particular focus on major donors (gifts of $5K+).
- Responsible for managing donor and prospect portfolio and leading moves management process within the department.
- Analyze current donor database (Raisers Edge) to identify potential areas of growth.
- Identify new donor prospects and possible linkages, abilities and interests.
- Build and strengthen relationships with current donors and prospects.
- Arrange donor meetings and prep Executive Director, the Director of Development, and appropriate Board members for site visits, meetings and follow-up.
- Work closely with Volunteer Manager, Events Manager, and Development Manager to help identify possibly connections and prospects.
- Work collaboratively with Development Department on all development activities, with a continued focus on individual and major donors.
- When appropriate, represent agency at speaking engagements and events.
2.) Special Event Support
- Together with Executive Director, Director of Development, Events Manager, Board of Directors and Development Team, help implement annual fundraising events, as well as smaller major donor stewardship events.
- Strategize and manage major donor invitation and follow-up following all events.
Raphael House values a mix of skills, including formal education and work experience in the community.
Qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of full-time, progressively responsible fundraising experience in the nonprofit sector focusing on major gifts.
- Experience in campaign work desirable.
- Track record of raising and cultivating major gifts from individuals.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of donor cultivation and stewardship principles.
- Event planning experience.
- Experience using donor databases and fundraising strategies (Raisers Edge is a plus).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, aptitude for building relationships.
- Ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively about Raphael House to varied audiences.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Leadership skills, collaborative approach to work and commitment to ethical fundraising practices.
Work Environment: Fast paced work environment with multiple demands presented at all times.
Interested candidates should send a writing sample, cover letter and resume. Please include job title in subject line.
Compensation: DOE. Full-time employee benefits include: medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement plan; generous paid vacation days plus 10 paid holidays and 10 sick days; EAP program; Flexible Spending Account; and commuter benefits. Raphael House supports a work/life balance for its employees and offers flexible work options.
Full-time employee benefits include: medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement plan; generous paid vacation days plus 10 paid holidays and 10 sick days; EAP program; Flexible Spending Account; and commuter benefits. Raphael House supports a work/life balance for its employees and offers flexible work options.
Minimum Education Required