108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Part-Time; Non-Exempt
SALARY: $21.50 per hour
SCHEDULE: 19 hours per week
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Bilingual Counseling Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our Youth Development Center at New Town High School. The Counseling Specialist will work with 9th and 10th grade students. With the support of the Counseling Specialist, and through participation in the program, youth will be promoted to the next grade at the end of the school year and remain on track for graduation.
- Support a caseload of students through individual and group counseling.
- Conduct engaging group counseling sessions during students’ lunch periods. Potential topics may include bullying, anger management, academic/study skills, college planning, and other academic/personal topics of relevance to adolescents.
- Maintain student confidentiality and exercise appropriate discretion.
- Develop individualized academic and social emotional plans with each student.
- Follow up with students to assess progress and support students towards accomplishing their goals.
- Monitor students’ grades and attendance to ensure students are on track for grade promotion.
- Enter counseling progress notes and program attendance into the online database in a timely manner.
- Connect students to school and community-based resources and make appropriate referrals as needed.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, collaborating partners, companies and other stakeholders.
- Assist in recruiting and enrolling participants by promoting the program in a positive, engaging manner to those who qualify.
- Identify and outreach to students who have not been attending the program and encourage them to participate.
- Meet with immediate supervisor and come prepared with agenda items to discuss.
- Participate in meetings, trainings, program trips, and special events.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or a related field required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth preferably in a similar setting; high school population preferred.
- Experience with group counseling.
- Strong knowledge of the NYC DOE high school setting and graduation requirements.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
- Ability to meet regulating agency requirements and obtain clearances including: background checks, fingerprinting by NYC Dept of Ed, medical clearance and TB test documentation.
This is a part-time position throughout the school year from September 2018 to June 2019. This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual - English/Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Bilingual Counseling Specialist – Newtown High School” at email@example.com or mail to:
Newtown High School
48-01 90th street
C/o: Queens Community House - Room 363
Elmhurst, NY 11373
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUG FREE WORKPLACE