FUNCTION: The Chief Advancement Officer is a member of the senior leadership team of the YWCA ensuring achievement of the fundraising goals of the organization through planning, execution and oversight. The position works closely with the Chief Executive Officer to develop and implement well defined strategies for the financial success of the organization. The CAO is responsible for building and maintaining public visibility and the positive reputation of the YWCA of Asheville. The position is responsible for planning and implementation of strategies and actions to build and sustain positive public awareness of the organization and its programs and activities through print and electronic media and personal contact. The CAO is responsible for the design and implementation of a comprehensive development program including individual and planned giving, grant writing, special events, donor development and stewardship, and special campaigns. The position serves as liaison to the Board Sustainability Committee and works with members of the Board as needed to create and implement development programs and policies.
- Primary responsibility for all fundraising activities and constituent communications with a goal of generating diversified and sustainable income to achieve the organization’s mission. Implements long and short term plans for development activities with measurable goals.
- Serves in a staff leadership role with the Board of Directors. Is the staff liaison for the Sustainability Committee and works closely with the chair to motivate, guide and support the committee’s work. Supports the work of development sub-committees. Directs the organization’s annual fund and major gift programs. Works with the CEO, the Development Coordinator and the board’s Sustainability Committee to set goals, plan strategies, and realize contributed income goals. Works closely with donors, participates in donor identification, cultivation and solicitation efforts providing special attention to donor acquisition and renewal. Ensures the creation and maintenance of accurate donor records for cultivating, thanking, tracking and building strong relationships with donors and prospective donors. Oversees research on potential supporters. Develops and implements planned giving strategies. Integrates annual fund and major gift strategies with all special campaigns.
- Works with the CEO and Chief Program Officer to identify, cultivate and solicit foundations, corporate and government prospects. Works with the CEO and Development Coordinator to coordinate organizational needs with donor interests. Coordinates with Chief Program Officer on the acknowledgement and recording of grant requests.
- Manages and guides the goal setting, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all development special events. Supervises the Development Coordinator and volunteers, including members of the Board of Directors, to plan, execute special events or social activities related to donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation.
- Manages the use and increasing functionality of the donor database, utilizing Bloomerang software. Works with the Development Coordinator to ensure accurate recordkeeping and reporting. Oversees monthly reconciliation with the finance office and directs the generation of appropriate reports for the board, the Sustainability Committee, staff, and internal review and analysis.
- Responsible for organization adherence to approved Gift Acceptance Policy and other policies affecting development or donor relations.
· Supervises Director of Marketing and Communications and Development Coordinator.
- Provides supportive mentorship and careful management of the day to day operations of the advancement department. Participates in a hands-on manner to achieve development goals. Assures the maintenance and regular revision of development policy and procedures manuals.
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Executive Officer in preparation of the annual operating budget to develop projections for contributed income and expenses for development. Oversees the annual expense budget for the development department.
Stand Against Racism/Advocacy
· Ensures strategic coordination of Racial Justice and volunteer activities with development and Bloomerang record keeping.
- Keeps informed on local, state and national government funding and policies in support of the organization and the program areas.
- Works with Racial Justice and Outreach Specialist to support Advocacy Committee.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Four-year degree in Marketing, Communications or field that applies to this position, or related experience.
· 5 years in non-profit fundraising or related experience. Three years in a supervisory capacity.
· A deep understanding of issues of racial and gender inequity in Asheville
· 5 years program management
· Advanced Microsoft Office Skills and experience with Google Suite
· Possesses good decision-making, problem-solving skills and takes initiative
· Exhibits strong interpersonal skills and is a team player
· Is able to work in a fast-paced deadline driven work environment
· Experience in the Benavon Model of Fundraising preferred.
HOURS OF WORK: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, occasional duties in the evening or on the weekend
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $50,000-$60,000 FLSA STATUS: full-time, year-round, benefits eligible, and exempt
Minimum Education Required