Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. By participating in Jumpstart’s yearlong program, children develop the language, literacy, and social and emotional skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path for lifelong success. Since 1993, Jumpstart has trained 47,500 college students and community volunteers to transform the lives of over 110,000 preschool children nationwide. Jumpstart is also a proud member of the AmeriCorps service network. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed! Learn more at www.jstart.org.
The Volunteer Manager is a year round position which drives member outcomes through strong management and programming. The primary responsibilities of the Volunteer Manager are to oversee campus relationships at a higher education partners, recruit and supervise up to 30 college and/or community volunteers, and ensure that Jumpstart Performance Standards are achieved in conjunction with other Jumpstart staff. The Volunteer Manager serves as the primary support for Jumpstart members serving as part-time AmeriCorps members and volunteers in preschools in under-resourced communities. The Volunteer Manager reports to the Director of Field Programs, Volunteer Management.
· Provide Jumpstart members with systematic supervision and support, consistent and responsive management, and clear ongoing communication
· Plan and manage recruitment process; interview and select all Jumpstart members for 1-4 sites
· Identify and cultivate student/alumni recruiters to support campus-based recruitment strategies
· Support Jumpstart members in the completion of service, including hours’ requirements for AmeriCorps members
· Recruit and manage a Jumpstart member to serve as a Volunteer Coordinator, where applicable
· Lead member trainings related to national and community service, teamwork, and citizenship
· Facilitate Jumpstart member engagement in Jumpstart programming
Campus/Community Partnerships and Operations
· Cultivate and manage campus relations to ensure sustainability and success of the program
· Work with faculty, staff, and administrators who can assist with Jumpstart member training and recruitment, student supports, higher education partner systems and processes
· Develop and manage content for the Jumpstart member online platform, MYJSTART
· Closely collaborate with Quality Coaches to inform continuous improvement practices for members to ensure high quality program implementation
· Support Volunteer Coordinator to plan and execute volunteer engagement activities that involve outside members of the community and corporate sponsors in Jumpstart’s work
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
· 1-2 years of prior work experience that includes volunteer management
· Prior work experience in a higher education setting and/or managing college students and community members
· Solid public speaking, presentation, and written communication skills
· Strong organizational, relationship building, and problem-solving skills
· Competency in Microsoft software, especially Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point
· Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with university staff and the general community
· Ability and willingness to travel to assigned locations/sites as necessary
· Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
· Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
Preferred or Ideal
· Prior experience managing partnerships with other organizations/entities
· Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
· Requires significant evening/weekend work at specific times during the program year
· Significant local travel required
Approximately 10-15% local travel
Number of Positions
2 total: 1 based in Bronx, NY and 1 based in Manhattan, NY
Excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and vision plans; generous PTO and sick time; paid holidays; and a 401k plan with an employer match, along with a great work environment!
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the online application. Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
Two positions available: 1 position based in Bronx, NY and 1 position based in Manhattan, NY.