An ambitious, well rounded, and detail-oriented Finance leader with international nonprofit expertise
About the Position
At Namati, our people are our greatest resource. Our team of more than 150 passionate advocates is spread across six country offices and remote locations around the world, representing different languages, customs, legal systems, and operating environments. And yet we are united—through our unyielding commitment to our mission and through a core of deeply held common values (see our cultural principles here).
As we’ve continued to grow our impact, we’re seeking a Director of Finance and Administration to strengthen the financial and operational infrastructure that makes our work possible, both globally and within all of our operational countries. Creative, solutions-oriented thinking is essential for success in this role. The right candidate will bring outstanding technical skills and strong financial stewardship combined with a relentless drive to realize our impact in the world. We’re looking for a finance professional who would be excited to learn and grow under the direction of our CFO.
The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will be responsible for the following:
Finance and Accounting
- Oversee standards and procedures for financial processes across the organization (eg., financial reporting, development of program and annual budgets, tax filing)
- Serve as a resource and provide support to Namati staff in program reviews, reporting, or audits and all follow-up actions
- Provide analysis and insight as financial resources relate to the overall strategic plan
- Develop and implement financial/operational policies and procedures to ensure internal controls, safeguarding of assets, regulatory compliance, and the reliability of financial statements and reports
- Build the finance and operations capacity of our program teams around the globe; including travel to country sites (India, Mozambique, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Myanmar, or others) for 2+ weeks at a time
Development and grantmaking
- Communicate with potential funders on all global and local partner financial issues
- Prepare and review all financial information related to proposals submitted to donors
- Manage donor-, funder-, and project-specific budgets and reports; provide support to staff in submitting all financial information related to proposals to donors
- Provide guidance on grantmaking to local partners, including the development of guidelines and procedures, and financial oversight of grant implementation
- Track disbursements against commitments to all grantees, subcontractors, consultants, and other vendors
- Draft, review, and approve grant, contract, MOU, and other agreements on behalf of Namati
- Lead on creating and maintaining a risk management program for Namati, including insurance coverage for personnel and property, strong internal controls to prevent fraud, and management of decisions to minimize risk
- Oversee organizational processes and procedures related to contracts, facilities and leases, and foreign registration and compliance
- Provide support to the Global Systems Manager and global teams on organizational processes and procedures related to inventory, property, and IT resources
- Provide support to key Namati staff and external providers on HR policies and procedures, onboarding, and compliance as they intersect with finance & accounting
- Work with CFO and other team members on compensation and benchmarking to ensure that Namati continues to attract and retain talent as it grows
- Be the point of contact for Namati’s external HR services provider in financial matters related to fringe benefits and benefits vendor relationships
What you might have tackled in the last month
- Participated in a call with the Director of Development and India Program Director to help translate the India program’s vision into a budget for a new prospective institutional funder-- then reviewed & provided feedback on the first draft of the budget
- Prepared for an upcoming extended trip to Myanmar by developing a working session on financial reporting and subgrant management with local partners to build the Myanmar team’s capacity
- Worked with a program team to develop a structure and process to enable them to provide funding to local, grassroots organizations
- Provided guidance to the Mozambique team on selecting a strong candidate for their open Accounting Manager role
- Met with Namati leadership and program finance team members to review 2020 budgets and capture lessons to plan for the next annual budgeting process
- Worked with the new Deputy Director of Operations in Sierra Leone to conduct a review of the program’s financial policies and procedures and identified opportunities for improvement
- Successful career in finance roles: You bring 7+ years experience in a wide breadth of roles and responsibilities in finance, accounting, and/or operations. You consider yourself a bit of a generalist because you’ve spent considerable time in each of those various domains. And your career path demonstrates increasing responsibility with each role you’ve held.
- Global NGO Experience: You’ve been working in a global NGO for 3+ years so you know the ins and outs of working at an organization such as ours, and understand how a role such as this affects our mission. With that, you have a strong understanding of the unique challenges (and best practices) that come along with working in the sector.
- Growth-orientation: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
- Creativity and solutions-orientation: You are relentless in finding ways to make things happen and to enable our work to flourish in the world.
- Collaborative nature and service-orientation: You greet everyone you encounter with humility and kindness. You know that collaboration is the way to move work forward and achieve our mission.
- Sound judgment and integrity: You are well-regarded for your judgment and are known for making reasoned, well-thought out decisions, even in the face of limited or conflicting information.
- Process Orientation: You have a track record for building and improving processes. You can pinpoint where the gaps are and provide solutions that optimize organizational practices and get results.
Washington, DC. Please note you must already be legally eligible to work in the United States to be considered for the position. Due to COVID-19, Namati remains a remote-first organization for the foreseeable future and until further notice. There are zero expectations of in-office presence and we strongly encourage everyone to work from home.
Compensation & benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a potential offer range of $95,000 - $110,000. Final compensation will vary based on the depth of experience that the selected candidate brings.
Namati offers an excellent benefits package, which includes-
- Health insurance- Namati pays 80% of the base plan premium for individuals, and 50% for dependents
- 3 weeks' paid vacation (increases to 4 weeks after two years of service), 12 sick days, 11 federal holidays (plus the week between Christmas and New Years), 3 personal days, 6 weeks' parental leave
- 401(k)- Namati contributes 5% of your salary plus matches your contribution up to an additional 5%
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking (Washington DC metro area)
- Access to professional development opportunities
Please complete our online application form. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.