423 West 55th Street
About The Shed
Opening in spring 2019 where the High Line meets Hudson Yards on Manhattan's west side, The Shed will be the first arts center dedicated to commissioning, producing, and presenting all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. From hip hop to classical music, painting and sculpture to literature, film to theater and dance, The Shed will bring together leading artists from all disciplines under one roof. The building—an innovative 200,000-square-foot structure designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Rockwell Group—is designed to physically transform to support artists' most ambitious ideas. Committed to nurturing artistic invention, The Shed, led by Artistic Director and CEO Alex Poots, will work with artists from a broad range of genres and backgrounds, along with innovative thinkers from across the sciences and humanities, to advance culture in the 21st century.
About the Position
The Director of Marketing will play a key role within The Shed’s Marketing & Communications team, which is charged with driving local, national, and global visibility for The Shed’s opening in spring 2019 and developing comprehensive efforts to promote all performances, exhibitions, programs, initiatives, and events.
The Director of Marketing will work closely with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer to develop and manage The Shed’s branding, audience development, and earned revenue efforts. The ideal candidate will have experience in paid media (advertising, promoted social), email marketing, direct mail, CRM, data analysis, marketing research, pricing strategies, revenue modeling, and marketing partnerships to develop and engage audiences, achieve revenue goals, and define and differentiate The Shed within the cultural sector.
· Develop and implement marketing strategies and campaigns in support of The Shed’s mission and programs
· Supervise all paid media buying (advertising, search engine marketing/optimization, promoted social posts) and creative assets (in collaboration with design director and editorial director), including marketing agencies and vendors
· Oversee strategy, creation, and deployment of all bulk email; establish policies and maintain best practices; drive traffic to Shed digital platforms; set success metrics/KPIs and monitor campaign results; grow email distribution list; employ A/B testing and continually innovate
· Supervise and execute all paid social media campaigns, optimizing to ensure best performance; collaborate with editorial staff and social media agency to develop engaging promoted content
· Lead marketing-related CRM efforts and data analytics; define and develop success metrics/KPIs for email marketing, direct mail, search, and paid social media campaigns; share insights throughout the organization and foster a collaborative learning environment
· Lead audience definition, targeting and communication efforts that reach non-traditional arts audiences
· Collaborate closely with The Shed’s technology department drive integrated digital communication efforts on and offsite.
· Work closely with the editorial staff to develop and use Shed original content to increase institutional visibility and audience engagement, drive attendance and revenue, and enhance the visitor experience
· Develop and coordinate all ticket sales-driving direct mail, working in close collaboration with the design and editorial staff in their creation, and supervising all supporting vendors
· Conceptualize, implement, and analyze dynamic pricing efforts; develop business logic and modeling; collaborate closely with technical and ticketing staff to manage processes
· Collaborate with development staff on membership strategies and tactics that provide seamless customer lifecycle interactions and promote affiliation/loyalty
· Develop marketing partnerships and media sponsorships, in collaboration with director of corporate partnerships
· Ensure that all marketing material conforms to and advances The Shed’s visual identity, under the guidance of the design director
· Lead all audience/marketing research efforts
· Hire and supervise marketing staff
· Negotiate contracts and supervise external marketing vendors and agencies
· Represent The Shed at industry events
Qualifications and Qualities
· 9+ years of experience in marketing, including at least three years in a supervisory role
· Deep knowledge of and interest in the contemporary performing arts and visual arts
· Bachelor’s degree in related field
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Substantial knowledge of marketing analytics and digital marketing platforms
· Team leader and collaborative approach
· Excellent judgment, collegiality, and ability to juggle multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
· Experience developing communication and marketing programs that reach non-traditional arts audiences
· Experience building a marketing program for a new institution, a plus
· Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Send submissions to email@example.com with “Marketing Director” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.