222 East 16th Street
Friends Seminary is an independent, co-educational K-12 Quaker School that has been educating children in New York City for over 232 years. The Business Office seeks a Staff Accountant to assist in the daily financial operations of the School. As the point person for both accounts receivable and accounts payable, this position requires a candidate with outstanding accounting and analytical skills. This position reports to the CFO/COO and will work closely with other members of the office to support Business Office projects as needed. A successful candidate will possess a knowledge of accounting practices, the ability to work collaboratively and independently, a positive attitude, and a professional presence.
· Receive Purchase Orders and Payment Requests, verify receipt of product/service, communicate with community members and vendors, enter invoices into database system, and generate checks on a weekly basis
· Maintain and update electronic files including Certificates of Insurance for all vendors working on campus
· Manage student billing process: assist in student enrollment, maintain student records and generate tuition statements, receive and enter payments, and communicate with parents and community members
· Process cash, check, and credit card payments daily and enter into database
· Assist in month-end close and bank reconciliations
· Process internal credit card reports
· Assist with annual audit
· Assist with any Business Office projects as needed
· Maintain Certificates of Insurance and Schoolwide Contracts
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related discipline
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of GAAP; nonprofit accounting experience preferred
· High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel and financial software; experience with Blackbaud preferred
· Strong attention to detail, organization, and communication skills
· Team player with interpersonal skills and ability to get along well with diverse personalities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates must submit a completed Friends Seminary Employment Application, a Cover Letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Include your first and last name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application online. No phone calls, please.
When submitting required documents, kindly reference in the subject line: your first and last name, the position you are applying for and where you heard about the position. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application online. Kindly submit your information only once per school year. No phone calls, please.
Friends Seminary actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all programs and operations, including admissions, financial aid, and hiring. To form a community which strives to reflect the world’s diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion, nationality, ethnicity, economic background, physical ability, sex, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Friends Seminary is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We urge all applicants to identify and express their individuality and the ways in which they might enrich and diversify the school community.