PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS OPPORTUNITY IS OPEN TO IN-COUNTRY, ARABIC SPEAKING APPLICANTS ONLY IN THE WEST BANK.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
THE MIDDLE EAST CHILDREN’S INSTITUTE (MECI) addresses the educational, psychosocial, health and other critical humanitarian needs in conflict-affected and disadvantaged communities. MECI transforms the lives of children and women giving them opportunities to rebuild their lives. MECI was founded in 2005 and operates in Palestine and Jordan in partnership with the respective Ministries of Education. MECI is registered as a public non-profit charity in Switzerland and the USA, and as an international NGO in Jordan and in Palestine. MECI’s child-centered community development model has been running in Palestine since 2007 in the village of Beit Rima.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Educational Specialist will ensure the efficacy and success of MECI’s integrated, multi-faceted child-centered education model in Palestine. The main tasks and responsibilities of the position include:
- Development of the MECI Program Curriculum and Manual to ensure it engages students and supports their academic and social advancement
- Developing a MECI Teacher Training Program to provide training to MECI’s facilitators to deliver the program to students in a consistent, engaging, empowering and fun manner
- Support in recruitment of academic facilitators at all program sites
- Oversight of the facilitator's performance, planning and program implementation, providing observations on a regular basis
- Provide regular coaching and support to MECI’s academic facilitators
- Deliver community workshops and awareness sessions on education-related issues
- Oversee the development of facilitators’ work plans, academic testing, and other tools to be determined/developed
- Standardize the implementation of various teaching methods and tools (visual, oral, kinesthetic…) promoting students’ engagement
- Periodically revise MECI’s curriculum in all subjects and methodology at use in an effort to enhance impact
- Develop and follow-up on school life initiatives promoting attendance, fun learning…etc.
- Provide monthly work plans and reports to management displaying the monthly achievements and upcoming tasks and objectives
- Develop Questionnaires to assess and measure academic and psychosocial performance of students to be administered at the beginning, mid-way and end of program; implement the questionnaire, and develop reports.
- Masters Degree in Education.
- 10+ years of experience in education and capacity building is mandatory
- Experience in developing and planning empowering curriculum and programs that support the academic, social, emotional and physical development of children and youth, integrating Life Skills and 21st Century teaching practices and pedagogy, as well as training, coaching and supervising teachers
- Experience in managing large teams of facilitators
- Experience in developing and managing education programs working with At Risk Youth and Women in Vulnerable Communities; awareness of child protection and related issues; an understanding of how trauma affects childhood development
- Professional working proficiency in English and fluency in Arabic, both written and verbal (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- Proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office programs
DESIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- An inspirational leader and educator, able to motivate, coach, and engage facilitators
- Cares deeply about children and youth and creating a safe and empowering environment for them to love learning
- Experience with children development programming and knowledge of Palestine’s education landscape
- Efficient, organized with exceptional management and administrative skills. A knowledge of INEE minimum standards for education
- An understanding of challenges related to education in programs targeting vulnerable children
- Proven record as a team player
- Demonstrated commitment to result-oriented performances
This is a temporary 12-month contract with a local salary. The position may be extended based on performance and availability of funding. Please note that the selected candidate must be able to start immediately.
Level of Language Proficiency
Professional working proficiency in English and fluency in Arabic, both written and verbal - NO EXCEPTIONS
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter including references, no longer than 4 pages to email@example.com
Please indicate the “Educational Specialist” on the Subject Line.
MECI thanks everyone for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.