520 8th Avenue, 10th Floor
Position: Blended Learning Specialist
Location: New York City
PowerMyLearning is a national education nonprofit that strengthens the learning relationships between students, teachers and families so every student succeeds. Founded in 1999, PowerMyLearning partners with schools and districts in under-resourced communities across the country. PowerMyLearning has regional offices in New York City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area, and its programs and services extend beyond those regions in a growing number of partnerships. More than 40,000 school communities nationwide use its digital learning platform, PowerMyLearning Connect. By using technology as a tool to build important bonds between students, teachers, and families, PowerMyLearning has demonstrated impact on student achievement, teacher practice, and family engagement. Learn more by visiting powermylearning.org.
PowerMyLearning New York City supports our partner schools in driving students' ownership of their learning and propelling student achievement, both within and outside the classroom. We provide professional development for teachers to help them build strong instructional practices and personalize learning for their students, and we support schools in better engaging families in the learning process, through coaching for school staff and workshops with families and students. Since 1999, PowerMyLearning New York City has partnered with more than 100 public schools in under-resourced communities and served more than 100,000 students, families, and teachers.
The Blended Learning Specialist will be integral in implementing PowerMyLearning's programs and services in New York City. PowerMyLearning is expanding on its strong foundation in NYC by deepening our impact with elementary and middle schools across the five boroughs. This expansion will provide more schools with access to high-quality professional development for their teachers and engagement opportunities for their families.
The Blended Learning Specialist (BLS) will play a pivotal role in implementing the professional development components of PowerMyLearning's programs and services in NYC. The BLS will collaborate directly with a small group of schools to deliver combinations of PowerMyLearning-designed educator workshops and on-site coaching packages that leverage strategies in the PowerMyLearning Framework. The BLS will work with a cohort of teachers from multiple partner schools with an emphasis on instruction at the elementary and middle school level. The BLS will train and support teachers in implementing blended learning strategies and incorporating digital learning activities in their daily instruction. This continuous and practice-embedded consulting relationship builds teacher capacity to engage students in the classroom through dynamic and interactive lessons.
The Blended Learning Specialist, in collaboration with PowerMyLearning leadership and individual school leaders, will support the pursuit of new school partnerships and play an ongoing and integral role in demand generation for additional educator support services. The BLS will additionally collaborate with PowerMyLearning's National and NYC staff in further developing blended learning consulting strategies and our online learning platform, PowerMyLearning Connect, utilizing lessons learned from working with our partner schools. The BLS's primary place of work will be within PowerMyLearning's partner schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City, with the secondary site being the PowerMyLearning office in midtown Manhattan.
Lead Professional Development at Partner Schools in New York City
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers at partner schools to develop goals to increase student achievement, as guided by PowerMyLearning's Framework for Teacher.
- Follow-up with schools to plan, confirm, and finalize service details as part of the partnership process
- Develop lesson plans in conjunction with teachers that incorporate digital tools, including PowerMyLearning Connect, in order to improve student engagement, increase self-directed learning, and increase family engagement
- Develop "digital playlists," selecting and sequencing groups of individual digital learning activities and source additional digital learning activities based on teacher needs
- Leverage our new Family Playlists resources with teachers to drive meaningful family engagement in the learning process
- Provide on-site guided support to teachers (demonstration teaching, classroom observation, feedback discussions, etc.) as they explore different ways they can leverage the classroom implementation of blended learning strategies. This includes collecting data and evidence of progress towards the implementation of blended learning
- Facilitate teacher professional development sessions and professional learning communities
- Support the implementation of the other PowerMyLearning service components at partner schools, including working closely with the assigned Program Manager to implement family engagement programs
- Provide feedback based on experience in the field to PowerMyLearning National staff as they develop new teacher tools and consistently improve PowerMyLearning's programs and services
- Gather and accurately report program data for organizational sustainability efforts
- In conjunction with PowerMyLearning leadership, help prepare for and attend meetings with funders and potential funders as needed. This includes leveraging relationships with schools and school district staff for visits from potential partner organizations and funders
- Assist in regional efforts to engage more teachers, schools, and partner organizations in our work each year by participating in our annual school selection process and other events outside of program implementation
- Understand and communicate PowerMyLearning's mission and theory of change to staff, constituents, funders, and other stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve team goals and actively engage in cross-regional collaboration
- Seek out and engage in personal professional development to better serve partner educators
- Proactively educate all regional staff members on lessons learned during their time in schools and emerging trends in the field of blended learning
- Actively solicit positive and constructive feedback from their supervisor and other team members, and keep their supervisor and other team members informed of changing priorities
Other duties as necessary, including support at evening and Saturday school-based program events as needed during the school year (approximately 4-6 times) with comp time to be used the following day/week.
- Passion for PowerMyLearning's mission
- At least two years of experience as a K-12 classroom teacher in a public school, ideally in middle school
- Experience working with youth and low-income communities
- Experience writing or developing lesson plans and curriculum
- Experience overseeing or leading professional development
- Creative and innovative approach to the learning process
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a complex schedule
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to travel to all five of the New York City boroughs
- Teaching certification
- Master's degree in Education or related field
- Four years of classroom teaching experience in a New York City K-12 environment
- Experience managing school partnerships
- Experience working with an English Language Learner population
- Experience working with NYC public schools
- Experience with blended learning, digital learning technologies and leveraging digital learning in instruction
- Experience coaching/mentoring teachers
- Experience teaching Math and/or Special Education
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. PowerMyLearning also offers medical and dental insurance with an employee contribution.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter (outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, salary expectations, and how you heard about this opportunity) to https://powermylearning.applicantpro.com/jobs/ using the following conventions:
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerMyLearning is an equal opportunity employer. PowerMyLearning strives to practice and champion inclusiveness in our communities, and we aim to honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our communities. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.