44-36 Vernon Boulevard
New York Cares
New York Cares - New York City's leading volunteer organization - provides a lifeline of support to our city's most vulnerable residents by developing volunteer programs that respond to pressing community needs. Last year, New York Cares engaged tens of thousands of individual volunteers and hundreds of companies in service to 400,000 at-risk New Yorkers.
October 20th will mark the 27th Annual New York Cares Day for Schools. New York Cares is seeking a seasonal employee to facilitate the supply distribution from the Department of Education warehouse located in Long Island City, Queens. The New York Cares Day for Schools Warehouse Team will work in partnership with the Public Spaces & Events Officer to receive supply orders, pull the supplies, and deliver them to the loading dock for pick-up. The position requires very strong organizational, problem solving, and customer service skills as well as the ability to self-motivate.
Support the Service Events team through the supply distribution phase for New York Cares Day for Schools (September 5th – October 26th, Monday-Friday (8 am to 4 pm)).
- Prepare orders by processing request and supply orders; pulling material; packing boxes; delivering orders to the loading dock.
- Organize/re-inventory items as needed, communicate low inventory to Public Spaces & Events Officer
- Answer phone and respond to questions/requests as needed
- Maintain safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and work stations neat; sweep. Organize warehouse and work area for orderliness at all times.
We seek a motivated team player who will take ownership of the warehouse space and supplies, and coordinate their distribution with enthusiasm and a commitment to exceptional performance. Successful candidates will have:
- Ability to identify problems or issues and solve them
- Ability to work both independently as well as on a team
- Strong communications skills
- AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Physical Demands and Abilities
- Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, and kneel
New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minimum Education Required