1800 Perry Street
Teaching at Perry Street Prep
Are you a highly skilled 21st-century teacher? Are you prepared to deliver academic rigor in a newly renovated, state-of-the-art, and modernized PreK-8 facility? Do you instill the fundamental principle that all children can learn and achieve excellence? Do you want to be part of an innovative school turnaround? Are you willing to go the extra mile to provide academic rigor for our students?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want you to join the Perry Street Prep team! We are recruiting Special Education teachers to work with our Kindergarten through 8th grade students.
Special Education Teachers are responsible for delivering instruction to identified students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) in an inclusion setting and working to develop and manage a classroom environment that supports differentiated instruction and student progress. A teaching position at Perry Street Prep is a full-time, salaried, 10-month position.
About Perry Street Prep
Perry Street Prep is a community of diverse learners that builds relationships with families and empowers students to be college-ready and to thrive in a global society. In school year 2018-19, Perry Street Prep will serve approximately 360 elementary and middle school students at our campus in Northeast DC.
In January 2015, Perry Street Prep partnered with TenSquare, a proven school turnaround partner, to launch a comprehensive school improvement effort. The TenSquare team supports Perry Street Prep leadership and teachers through intensive and professional development, curriculum and planning support, and school and classroom culture systems development. Teachers at Perry Street Prep benefit from weekly coaching, develop their practice through job-imbedded professional development, and learn from peers through a citywide multi-LEA professional development cohort.
For additional information about Perry Street Prep, visit pspdc.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A Special Education teacher at Perry Street Prep is responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop and deliver specialized instruction in the classroom designed to help students meet grade-level standards and achieve personal learning goals
- Utilizing strong content knowledge to effectively present enticing and rigorous Common Core-aligned lessons
- Developing Individualized Learning Plans (IEPs) for students on assigned caseload
- Ensuring the records for each identified student are up to date and well-organized, and contain necessary progress notes and assessments
- Modifying assessments and classwork for students with special needs
- Assessing student progress against IEP goals
- Tracking and monitor assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design differentiated lesson plans
- Communicating with families regarding service delivery and student progress
Perry Street Prep is seeking an educator with the following education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required. Special education or master’s degree preferred.
- Two or more years of teaching experience as an elementary or middle school special education teacher in an urban environment preferred
- Experience with co-teaching models preferred
- Experience writing and monitoring IEPs preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran’s status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.