Details: Commensurate with Experience
The Communications Director develops, implements and drives the communications strategy to promote Urban League’s mission, programs, initiatives, products, services and fundraising activities, through traditional, non-traditional and social media. Develops and implements media events, materials and other tools to inform key audiences about the Urban League and its Centers of Excellence statewide. The Communications Director will interact with organizational leadership, staff, news media, outside organizations, stakeholder groups and the general public for the purpose of enhancing awareness of the organization’s mission and programs.
• Develop communications such as newsletters, press releases, advisories, public service announcements, press kits, annual reports, web content, scripts, video, talking points, etc.
• Work with media outlets for media buys, distribution, and overall marketing and communications campaigns to reach diverse audiences.
• Maintain website content and social media channels.
• Develop innovative multi-media campaign strategies for overall agency and key programmatic initiatives.
• Serve as the agency’s primary media contact person and secure the media’s participation in Urban League events.
• Promote Urban League news to local media and pitch/place story ideas to media outlets.
• Develop media sponsorship proposals and secure media sponsorships.
• Responsible for overall organization brand management and developing branding initiatives.
• Vet media and speaking opportunities for staff including features on radio, TV, Internet, etc.
• Manage communications contractors and vendors and acquisition of broadcast schedules, monitoring reports, transcripts, videotapes, dubs, etc.
• Oversee the production of special video projects and oversee production of materials produced by outside vendors.
• Create and manage public relations database, update records, train other department staff and utilize measurement/tracking.
• Establish and oversee agency-wide system and protocol for documenting, maintaining and archiving programmatic activity.
• Respond to public requests for information from members, government agencies, businesses, advocacy groups and other associations.
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• 5+ years experience in a communications role, preferred
• Strong written communication skills, required
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
• Experience with Adode Creative Suite, preferred
• Experience with Wordpress and/or HTML, preferred
• Willing to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently
• Entrepreneurial work ethic and a desire to “get the job done”
• Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively.
Minimum Education Required