The Development Director is responsible for all fundraising activities in support of DC SAFE. This includes maintaining and expanding private and government funding sources, events, and other opportunities as presented. The Development Director is also responsible for the production and dissemination of all communications materials and press relations, in coordination with Executive Director, to ensure that DC SAFE maintains a consistent visual brand and speaks to the public with a strategic and compelling voice.
Specific duties include:
A) Fundraising Plan Development and Execution
1. Prepare a development strategy with input from DC SAFE’s leadership team and Board of Directors.
2. Lead the execution of this strategy in collaboration with DC SAFE’s Executive Director.
3. Track overall progress in reaching annual funding goals and provide updates to DC SAFE’s leadership and Board of Directors.
B) Individual Giving
4. Optimize the implementation of a plan for obtaining new donors and retaining existing donors.
5. Recruit in-kind donations and coordinate in-kind drives with individual supporters.
6. Develop and lead the execution of at least one annual giving campaign.
7. Track gifts received from donors on a monthly basis.
8. Ensure that donors are properly thanked in a timely manner and are regularly informed about DC SAFE’s work.
C) Institutional and Government Funding
9. Identify grant opportunities and evaluate them for funding potential.
10. Lead the development and submission of grant applications.
11. Track the status of grant applications submitted and notify DC SAFE’s leadership of funding decisions made.
12. Ensure that grant deliverables, such as donor reporting, are completed and submitted in a timely manner.
D) Fundraising Events
13. Plan and lead the execution of fundraising events, including the Keep DC SAFE event held in early October for Domestic Violence Awareness Month, in collaboration with DC SAFE staff, board members, vendors, and sponsors.
14. Track RSVPs, revenue, and expenses as well as identify lessons learned.
E) Communications and Outreach
15. Manage all daily communications including email marketing, social media, and press coverage.
16. Develop and disseminate email marketing materials on a regular basis.
17. Maintain DC SAFE’s online presence by ensuring a regular content schedule for social media and that the website is regularly updated.
18. Develop promotional materials, such as an annual report, brochures, and other items as needed.
19. Prepare press releases, as needed, to publicize initiatives and notable developments.
20. Coordinate with DC SAFE leadership and staff to recruit and steward volunteers and conduct and highlight outreach events.
21. Liaise with the Board of Directors to include providing fundraising updates, attending board meetings, enlisting board member participation in fundraising efforts, and tracking board member financial contributions.
F) Staff Recruitment and Supervision
22. Manage and oversee all day-to-day resource development and communications activities.
23. Recruit and supervise Development and Communications intern(s)/staff member(s), supporting the development and execution of an Individual Work Plan
- Strategic Planning: Prepare and implement a detailed fund development plan inclusive of funding projections.
- Fundraising: Manage the fundraising cycle (prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship) for individual and institutional donors.
- Event Planning: Plan and execute fundraising events that are well-attended and generate sufficient revenue.
- Staff Supervision: Manage the work flow of subordinate staff to include ensuring the satisfactory and timely completion of assigned tasks.
- Project Management: Design and manage the implementation and effective completion of complex tasks in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Communications: Produce strong written documents and engages in effective verbal communication.
DC SAFE provides optional health, dental and vision, as well as AFLAC.
Minimum Education Required