Part Time Temporary
San Francisco Bay Area
Position: Bilingual Domestic Violence Counselor/Advocate
Svoboda: Domestic Violence Services in the Russian Jewish Community
Grant-funded 1-year, Part-Time (possibility of renewal, pending funding)
Position summary: Shalom Bayit is seeking a dynamic new member of our Svoboda team to provide bilingual domestic violence support services to Russian Jewish women escaping abusive relationships. Join our small collaborative team in an empowerment-focused, social justice agency working to shift the community’s response to abuse. Candidate will provide domestic violence advocacy, short-term individual counseling, crisis intervention, safety planning, phone counseling via helpline, and healing in a culturally-competent Jewish context. Related duties include community relations, outreach, education, and accurate reporting of program records & statistics.
Requirements: Must be bilingual; familiar with Bay Area Russian Jewish community; able to work both independently and in cooperative, dynamic, small team environment; and strongly committed to ending violence against women. Bay Area travel required for client meetings.
- Provide free, confidential support, peer counseling, crisis intervention, and advocacy (telephone helpline and in-person) to clients, including Russian-speaking survivors of DV
- Support client services outside of our main East Bay hub; set up counseling sessions for West and South Bay clients as needed
- Provide language interpreting as needed for Russian-speaking clients navigating support systems
- Engage the Bay Area Russian Jewish Community in agency efforts to combat gender-based violence, including community education and outreach and building relationships with Russian Jewish community groups
- Perform all duties necessary to the function of Shalom Bayit programs, including but not limited to:
- Recordkeeping: maintain client files and records accurately, ethically, and confidentially; report accurate program statistics regularly to supervisor;
- Participation in staff meetings and agency events;
- Collaborate with team to ensure smooth running of agency office and programs.
- Knowledge, understanding, and/or experience with domestic violence and its impact on women and children;
- Crisis intervention and/or peer counseling skills;
- Knowledge and familiarity with Bay Area Russian Jewish Community
- Bilingual Russian/English; ability to conduct counseling and education in both languages
- 40 hour domestic violence training (can be provided after hire)
- Public speaking and community organizing skills;
- Ability to articulate domestic violence prevention messages in a Jewish values framework;
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including a wide range of cultural and religious beliefs, class backgrounds, sexual and gender orientations, ages, and abilities;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Commitment to agency philosophy, mission and vision
Candidate must complete 40 hours of domestic violence training or equivalent, in accordance with California state
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Russian/English required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Women of traditionally underrepresented Jewish backgrounds, and survivors of domestic violence, are especially encouraged to apply. Shalom Bayit (a project of the Tides Center) does not discriminate on the basis of socioeconomic, ethnic, or religious background; sexual orientation, age, disability, or language. We represent a variety of Jewish backgrounds and denominations. We do not provide services or education to batterers.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com