2770 Third Avenue
Masa is a community-based organization dedicated to partnering with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
The P/T ESL Teacher will plan and teach two basic-to-intermediate ESL courses beginning in January 2019. Students will be assessed using BEST Plus. The courses will seek to improve participants' English language skills, and support them in building confidence speaking English so they feel better equipped to navigate the systems, government offices, employer interactions, and other settings that so often affect the immigrant experience.
The P/T ESL Teacherwill work closely with an Adult Education Program Associate to ensure prospective students are at an appropriate level for the class, and with their supervisor to ensure the courses are interactive, engaging, and aligned to the interests of participating students.
The teacher will be responsible for:
- Assessing students' baseline level using BEST Plus assessment
- Assessing students' level at the end of the course using BEST Plus assessment
- Developing a curriculum scope and sequence for each course, with clearly stated goals and objectives and grounded in student feedback about areas in which they feel they need the most support to navigate their day-to-day lives
- Planning, leading, and documenting weekly interactive and engaging lessons
- Monitoring student progress and attendance
- Collaborating with the Adult Education Associate to support the recruitment and enrollment process, particularly enrolling students at an appropriate level
- Reflecting on course successes and areas for growth and documenting these learnings
- There is some flexibility in schedule, but the ESL Instructor should be available for 12 hours of instruction per week during the schoolday or on weekends
- Experience developing ESL curriculum and/or modifying existing curriculum to meet student needs
- Experience teaching English to adults; TESOL certification a plus
- BEST Plus certified and experienced with BEST Plus assessments
- Experience working with immigrant parents a big plus
- Skilled project manager able to work independently with minimal supervision
Competitive hourly rate
Minimum Education Required